Any idea on what might happen next?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
Something very strange just happened.

I had two broodies with a staggered hatch. Mama #1 hatched 4 chicks a week and a half ago and mama #2 has 2 chicks, one hatched on Monday, the other last night. I thought separating them would be the best for the chicks because I was afraid the hens would fight over them.

I had mama #1 and her 4 in a separate pen for over a week and mama #2 in a dog crate in my coop.

I decided to let mama #1 and her chicks out to free range in the yard today. They have been sleeping inside a pet carrier and I figured they would need to sleep in the coop eventually.

The chicks followed their mama around the yard while mama #2 stayed in the dog crate. I wanted to wait until her chicks were two weeks old before letting them free range.

I left the pet carrier in the same spot as usual but when it came time to roost mama #1 abandoned her chicks and roosted up high where the chicks can't get to.

I do have a lower roosting area that my previous broody took her chicks when they were around two weeks old, so I was surprised she didn't do that.

It's a good thing my dog crate is big enough for mama #1's chicks to get through so they're actually sleeping with mama #2 tonight. She pecked at them for a bit but eventually took them in. If it makes a difference mama #2 was actually around when they first hatched but I don't know if they remember.

Any idea on what might happen next? Will the chicks continue to follow mama #1 around in the yard tomorrow? Or stay with mama #2? I just don't want anyone to get hurt, especially the younger chicks.

Should I intervene or let them figure it out?

Should I intervene or let them figure it out?
Just watch and only intervene if necessary. If the chicks from the first broody can get out of the second broody's crate, they will likely attempt to rejoin their hatch mother. If she doesn't take them back, they will go back to broody #2.

I like to wait until the chicks are 3 days old and highly mobile before opening doors to let them mingle with the flock.

Just watch and only intervene if necessary. If the chicks from the first broody can get out of the second broody's crate, they will likely attempt to rejoin their hatch mother. If she doesn't take them back, they will go back to broody #2.

I like to wait until the chicks are 3 days old and highly mobile before opening doors to let them mingle with the flock.
Mama #1 flew down to get her chicks and was upset they didn't come out. I opened the door since some were getting too big and struggling. Mama #2 came out and the two hens got into a fight. Mama #1 was also pecking at mama #2s chicks in a mean way.

Do I have to keep these two families separated until the chicks are 8 weeks old? How can I integrate the two flocks now? I wanted to wait for the chicks to get older because my breeds are RIR and cream legbars and they're very unfriendly.

Back
Top Bottom