This seems like a silly question, but is this a rooster?

That girl has been practising that crow for quite a while to have perfected it so well. I wonder if that is why her previous owner sold her.
I had an exchequer leghorn hen that would crow duets with the rooster but still laid eggs..... she didn't have it down as well as this one though..... it's a very impressive voice.
I'm voting hen as her body shape and feathers say hen. Those are characteristics that she has had since being an adolescent, which is when gender differences become apparent ..... other things like spurs and a crow usually develop later if they are going to.

That girl has been practising that crow for quite a while to have perfected it so well. I wonder if that is why her previous owner sold her.

The lady I got her off said she was "noisy" and that she'd sold her before but the other people returned her because of the noise. The crowing doesn't bother me (or my neighbors) we have a big block and I can't hear it from in the house, but I do want eggs so if her gender is still up for debate in a few weeks due to lack of eggs she may have to go back to the seller.

Though I'm already attached so I can see myself "still waiting for eggs" a year later :)

Really interesting. Hope you don't mind me following to see if it lays the egg :D. Also I think @debid theory maybe right. Sebrights are perfect examples of roosters with hen feathering, but then again there are those girls who crow........

Just assuming she is a lady and taking into account that she was apparently already laying before purchase, is around 20 weeks old, but has just moved house. How long should I wait before writing her off as a rooster?

I would imagine if the seller had been totally honest and said she crowed, rather than was "noisy" you probably would not have taken her in the first place. Most people would be sceptical of a bird that was being sold as a hen but crowed.... the posts on this threat are testament to that.
I would be reasonably confident though that if the seller has already had to take her back once and even told you that, then you could also assume that she is probably telling the truth about her laying white eggs.... if that makes sense.
Even if she never lays an egg, I still think she is a female but maybe has a reproductive issue that has changed her hormone balance...... I hope she doesn't keep you (or us!) waiting a year for it, but she looks like she might be a very "individual" addition to your flock..... personally I quite like "individuals"!

Just assuming she is a lady and taking into account that she was apparently already laying before purchase, is around 20 weeks old, but has just moved house. How long should I wait before writing her off as a rooster?

It can take 2 or more weeks for hens to destress after a move.

But one another note you said she was suppose to lay a white egg and the other 2 blue right? And you got a white and blue the other day but the next day you only said you got 2 eggs from the other 2 girls. Im wondering if you again had a white and blue or 2 blue eggs the second day? And do you have any other hens that lay a white egg?

Back
Top Bottom