This sweet bird was dumped! Info appreciated

MgnRose

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hi fellow chicken lovers! I was hoping someone could help sex and ID the breed of this sweet chicken that was dumped on my friends property.

A little backstory- it showed up a few weeks ago with juvenile feathers, in that awkward phase before the adult feathers mature. It’s super flighty (that could be due to living outside/ not having a lot of human contact), but is warming up to us. I have heard attempts at “crowing” but one of my females who looks super masculine and has spurs made the same sounds, so I’m not convinced that’s a determination of sex at this point. They’re small, maybe 2-3 lbs, but also they aren’t fully mature. Any help determining either sex or breed would be appreciated. If it’s a rooster, he’ll continue to live out his days with her goats. If she’s a female, she’ll be joining my flock.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas- it is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 54FB38F4-8D00-4BCF-BF5A-0957401F79D5.jpeg
    54FB38F4-8D00-4BCF-BF5A-0957401F79D5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Isn’t she (haha, good to know) gorgeous? From everything I’m reading, they’re aggressive- so I’m assuming it’s a bad idea to introduce her to my girls?

Last edited:
Isn’t she (haha, good to know) gorgeous? From everything I’m reading, they’re aggressive- so I’m assuming it’s a bad idea to introduce her to my girls?
I personally would give it a try. More than likely she would be the one picked on, because she's a lone bird and she will be facing an established flock. The hens of this breed usually get along just fine with other hens once the pecking order is established. But if you decide against it, you could likely find her a good home by advertising on Craigslist or at a feed store, or even in your state thread on here.

I personally would give it a try. More than likely she would be the one picked on, because she's a lone bird and she will be facing an established flock. The hens of this breed usually get along just fine with other hens once the pecking order is established. But if you decide against it, you could likely find her a good home by advertising on Craigslist or at a feed store, or even in your state thread on here.
Thank you for the info! We’ve all grown really attached to her, so ideally we would like to introduce her to my flock and keep her in the family.

Back
Top Bottom