This year has been rough on my pets (now with pics)

update:
20201210_180751.jpg
20201210_180559.jpg

Yeah, I can see that. It also looks very swollen. How is she doing now?
they gave her a pain shot and I'm sure shes a little loopy from anesthesia still. she lays in one spot pretty much but if you call her too you, she'll come and pick a new spot to stay in. tomorrow she'll get pain meds.

the drain is dripping freely. the internet suggested it should have a sterile bandage on it..but the vet said we didnt need to do anything so idk. she had an antibiotic shot and pills starting tomorrow too.

I do hear you on the animal stuff

Having 5 dogs, 3 bunnies, 30 chickens, a cat, quail, lizards, and fish... something is always happening here!

My pit mix had a similar incident except wasn’t metal, it was another dog. I cleaned it and closed it (I interned at the vet office all through high school). There’s no scar or anything! It’s amazing what a few simple medical supplies can actually do. She did get checked by the vet but they just looked at my work and smiled.

Medical supplies are a huge deal in this house!

@Sulky Bantam I lost 50% of my chicks because a customers chicks had coccidiosis. By the time I found out (24 hours later) the flock was already half dead. I had to put 25+ chicks in the burn pile to cremate them. Corid wouldn’t even help most of them. Chicks are so delicate sometimes. Also I ordered from ideal 12 of the 13 all died. Two lessons I learned... don’t ordered from hatcheries and don’t get chicks from customers. Ideal did send me 10 new ones of the 10 only 8 are here today, but those 8 are insanely strong. They should be laying this spring. I think I’ve had some hard hits this year with my chickens including a few hens, but I did hatch some of their eggs so I have their quirky traits still in my flock.

@Sulky Bantam I lost 50% of my chicks because a customers chicks had coccidiosis. By the time I found out (24 hours later) the flock was already half dead. I had to put 25+ chicks in the burn pile to cremate them. Corid wouldn’t even help most of them. Chicks are so delicate sometimes. Also I ordered from ideal 12 of the 13 all died. Two lessons I learned... don’t ordered from hatcheries and don’t get chicks from customers.
😢
:hugs

@FortCluck I'm glad your pup healed up well! yeah, the vet tech said we did the best we could with what we had, but they put her out and did a ton of tissue removal that would have been cruel to do to her awake. Shes a really good dog but that would have been too much to ask.

Unfortunately shes in a lot more pain now than before she went to the vet because they did do a lot of tissue manipulation and pulled the wound into a straight line whereas we just stuck bits back together without putting real pressure on the skin.

Its draining well and weve got a secondary pain med called in. I just bribed her to eat with chicken broth. :)

@FortCluck I'm glad your pup healed up well! yeah, the vet tech said we did the best we could with what we had, but they put her out and did a ton of tissue removal that would have been cruel to do to her awake. Shes a really good dog but that would have been too much to ask.

Unfortunately shes in a lot more pain now than before she went to the vet because they did do a lot of tissue manipulation and pulled the wound into a straight line whereas we just stuck bits back together without putting real pressure on the skin.

Its draining well and weve got a secondary pain med called in. I just bribed her to eat with chicken broth. :)
Hopefully she heals up well.

Wonder what someone would do without a vet nearby? I could imagine all the things people in Alaska in the middle of nowhere would do. None I could think of .

The worse animal to work on is chickens. Their skin is so delicate, it amazes me how thin it truly is.

And I can’t believe your cat was 29! Mine is only 4 right now and I can’t imagine him living that long. He’s my first cat and he’s strictly indoors. He will not go outside lol

Wonder what someone would do without a vet nearby? I could imagine all the things people in Alaska in the middle of nowhere would do. None I could think of .
I suspect theyd own more of their own medical equipment (sutures, tubes etc).

SO said freya was miserable and whining all night and she looked in pain when I woke up enough that SO called the vet to request more pain meds... which we havent picked up yet so she hasnt had them... but I got her to eat and drink and now shes walking around like shes in normal pain. idk what changed.

Back
Top Bottom