Those of you with homemade incubators...

JCoogle - I am so going to try your type of bator. I found a bunch of 3/4 plywood in the garage under some tarps and have eveything else i need to make one - thanks again for so generously sharing your idea!!

I drilled three holes in the black bakelite part of my hot water thermostat and it holds temp at about 99.5-100.2. the original person who did it was the sink-a-bator incubator. So search for sink-a-bator and he will show you how to fix your thermostat. I love my hova bator but i get better hatches out of my mini refrigerator incubator. it is very rewarding to hatch out of something that you built.

Quote:
Mine is two layers of 1/4 inch plywood with 1/2 inch foam board inbetween. If you have enough ply I would look into the two layers with insulation between. My lights do not come on very often and that is in the coldest room in the house as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
It seems to me that I remember a while back when the Home-made Incubator contest was running that someone said they were able to get much more accurate control of temperatures with a hot water heater thermostat if they drilled holes in the casing. It made a lot of sense, but I have never since found that post. Would love to re-read it. What did you use for a cabinet B-Rocker?

I actually built the cabinet myself. 15" X 16" X 24" and hinged a solid pane window to the front. I'll try to post pictures later, short on time right now. I did drill holes in my thermostat, I'll have to look for that post where I got the idea. It works great for me. I'm still battling temp variations in different parts of the bator, can't quite seem to get it leveled out yet.

Thanks everyone! That is a great idea about the HWH thermostat. I'll have to try that. JCoogle- great job on your incubator! That is awesome!

110 volt LOWER hot water heater thermostat. about $8-9 at lowes or home depot. drilling holes in the black bakelite housing helps more airflow to the plunger and wafer to turn on and off faster with more accuracy. or you can splurge and spend $25-30 for a zoo med repti-temp 500r thermostat. very accurate and idiot proof.

my bator works perfect hatched 6 for 6 first time. Just drill holes in the water heater stat and wala.
47462_phone_016.jpg

47462_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom