those racoons

Carly08

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
i recently bought 2 frizzle Cochin bantam roosters and 2 Cochin hens that were show quality. last night a racoon got in their coop and killed the 2 roosters but didn't touch the hens. does anyone know what i can do to keep the racoons away.im just very upset right now
somad.gif

i recently bought 2 frizzle Cochin bantam roosters and 2 Cochin hens that were show quality. last night a racoon got in their coop and killed the 2 roosters but didn't touch the hens. does anyone know what i can do to keep the racoons away.im just very upset right now   :mad:  

I recently used a live trap to catch a black mink that got into the chicken run and killed one of my serama pullets. I was able to catch the mink within hours of the first attack. I used the live trap and sliced ham placed next to the run. The mink was released far away.

Raccoons are clever in their ability to break in where they are not wanted. Any work you do on your coop needs to be strong.

Sorry for your loss. What kind of wire are you using on your coop? If you're using chicken wire it isn't strong enough to keep out most predators. 1/2" hardware cloth is a lot stronger.

Back
Top Bottom