Those who need help in sexing peafowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right there are 2 types of Roans and how they came to existence.
Silver Pied Peacock

Silver Pied Peahen

The funny thing is how a True Roan comes from a True Roan and a Sabino Roan, then how did they get the True Roan. I think that the first True Roan in my opinion came from breeding two Roans together and then they called it a True Roan. I don't know if that's a fact or not but that is my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Sabino Roan is the offspring of white and color. I know in cattle there are Roans. That come from white and color.

Last edited:
New pictures of Thor and Calypso.

Spur bump on Thor!
celebrate.gif

More barring! on Thor!

Pretty Thora!
love.gif

Here's our girl Chicken Girl (left) with her son, Bro.
As you can see, she has some sort-of-barring-type patterned feathers towards her tail.
Also, she has spur bumps herself...not necessarily a sign of "boyness."

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Spur bumps do show on both sexes but males develop them first. Calypso doesn't have any bumps but Thor does on his right leg and he has developing a barring pattern on his wing now. Females sometimes have barring on the train. Females that have spurs are usually 2 years or older.

Not to go off topic here, but there are two roan types in horses, one is true roan in which one parent must be a true roan and there is sabino. One of our true roans One of our sabino roans -Kathy
They're beautiful Kathy! Beautiful markings! We have 3 horses....two bays and a palomino:)

I'm jealous. I used to have a palomino but then she died. Now this is my new mare
She's an appaloosa chestnut.

when you cross two Indiablue pied parents ( carrying one white gene and one pied gene and two Indiablue genes) -- example India blue pied T, pd ,BB x T pd BB= TTBB ( white), Tpd,BB ( Indiablue pied) and pd pd BB ( Indiablue dark pied), chicks in the ratio of 25:50:25. A silverpied Indiablue is One white gene (T), one pied gene (pd) and two copies of white eye gene (w/e w/e ) besides two Indiablue genes-all these are present in a single bird.Two white genes in a single bird mask all other colors. single white gene is incomplete dominant may show a couple of white flight feathers and some times a white throat patch- some times may not show

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom