Thought I had a prolapse vent

1 acre willows

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
Montana
Have a light brahma hen 6 months old, wife saw it this morning with huge stool build up almost like pasty butt. After a quick look we thought prolapse, gather up some goodies to start, hopefully, fixing her and in for a soak she goes..... come to find out what we thought was the insides was actually a giant blood clot partially blocking her vent with stool building up on that. 2 hours of soaking and cleaning, found she had a split in her vent and with the problems/ irritation she had 2 more peck wounds back there too. Glad it wasn't a huge problem, but she's isolated and healing. Eating and drinking fine..... trying to keep her in a dark place hoping she doesn't lay.

Oh, my, glad she's on the mend now. Do chickens sometimes pause laying when they are injured like that? Pretty new to this myself and hadn't really thought about that.

It may I guess, but longer hours of dark, i.e. winter, will cause them to slow if not stop laying. Plus it's just not as an intense environment, just want them to settle down and heal.

Back
Top Bottom