Thoughts on an email I received...

sdshoars, it made me uncomfortable too. Luckily (or unluckily) I've been targeted before so I was familiar with the scheme. The first time I got one of these (the "I'll send you a MO with extra for your time and supplies to print the MO out.."), I emailed the guy back and told him no, local pickup and CASH only, and he had the audacity to argue with me. I laughed, and replied asking him if he thought I was an idiot? It was kind of fun to turn the tables. I dislike scammers very much... :mad:

i sometimes send them back a response,, has their ip address, their physical addy,, and ask them if they would like me to give them ALL their personal info,,,, i havent had no takers yet lol
lol.png

Quote:
i ask scammers and sell-a-phoners if they would like to buy something from me. i give them a whole spiel about whatever i feel like i could sell them in the house. i ask when i can come over and show it to them, what a GREAT deal it is and HOW could they pass it up.

they never do buy, but they don't call back either. maybe my sales technique needs work?

Dont trust that e-mail
Ive been had like that, the person sent me a check for way over the amount i was asking, they said there shipper was coming up here to western uinion the rest of the money to a differnt state. I check on the check it was stolen from a company.
Anyone who says they will send there own shipper, be very careful. :mad:

I even got a scam from applying for a job online. It seemed legit from the ad, but when the "person" emailed me the details started getting weird. They wanted me to "process" payments through Money Gram for their "goods" that they only sold online. My salary was 6% of each transaction and $2000 per month for just a few hours a month?????? I stopped him by asking for a copy of the employee agreement and printed material on the company.
Never heard from them again. I think the scam was money laundering.

edited cause I didn't pay attention....

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh... I'm so sorry you got caught up by it... :aww I am learning to be a little more distrustful, I hate to say it. I was almost had by someone here that offered eggs that I was looking for... my husband was the one that caught on to him, and I was able to get my money back that night. It's hard NOT to get caught up in something like that, when you're excited about something. The guy even got upset with me for calling him a scammer, but that particular user-name hasn't been used since. Saved a couple of other people from being taken at the same time.
big_smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I have placed ads in our local Craigslist with my business email and website. I received this business email this morning, subject title "HOST FAMILY", just like that in all caps... here's the email (I just cut and pasted it, as sent to me):

Hello Seller,
i will like to know if you still have chicken/chicken eggs for sale and how much is the final asking prize and i will be paying you via CHECK OR CREDIT CARD and also if credit card what kind of credit card do you accept.I have a shipper that will be coming to your store to pick up the item for me so you do not need to worry about shipping just give me the costs after tax and without shipping

Till i hear from you again with the prizes Larry Smith

Now, to me, this is very reminiscent of the spam emails I first got from people responding to my CL ads... so I sent it to my junk mail and blocked the sender. It was not sent through CL; they used my email address, but the "to" field is not my address, it's someone elses. That, and the "prize" instead of "price" and the fact that I don't actually have a "store" and anyone actually looking at my website would know that, just sent red flags flying all over the playing field.

Has anyone received an email like this? What are your thoughts?
I don't want to piss anyone off, if it's legit, but it just screams of scamming. It's an odd way to do it, though, because eggs and chickens aren't big-ticket items.

Just curious... I'd like your 2 cents...
smile.png
Thanks.

I got the same exact email this morning!​

ha, i had a friend in college who took a job as a telemarketer to make some extra money, and they got fired if they hung up before the person they called hung up. he made the mistake of telling a lady that, and she just pushed buttons on the phone for 36 minutes. then she asked if he would call back, and he told her only if he needed a symphony of button tones. then she hung up. he quit, lol. but the selling THEM stuff idea is halarious.

oh but to add, if the guy argued with you about cash only- thats def. a tip off that he was a scumbag. these people must think we are stupid. but the sad part is, that some people fall for it. poor saps.

Back
Top Bottom