Thoughts on converting a corner of this shed.

Thank you. We may go a bit bigger, 5x5 was my thought but we'll really attach the walls where the rafters are so may be more like 6 or 7. We'll see.

As for ventilation, I do get it, which is why I asked the last question. How many vents up at the roofline do I need? Its 25 feet long. Grates are 16". I would hope to not do one every opening... more like every other... but if necessary I guess I could do all the way across.

I have a 6x8x6 coop and and 6x8x6 run. Im doing a sloped roof 6 inches on front, with windows on 3 sides of the coop at the top. And I hope that'll be all the venitlation they need. I hear alot that we generally underestimate our ventilation. Im much happier with my coop temp after slooping my roof today which makes much more air flow.

I guess its a trial and error thing depending on climate etc.

You need to first calculate the necessary square footage based on the number of birds, 1 square foot per bird. That's your THEORETICAL minimum for 24/7/365 ventilation .

Then, if you live in a hot climate you should probably double or triple that.

Beyond that, you may want additional supplemental ventilation that's opened in hot weather and closed in cold weather.

My brooder here has 16 square feet of absolutely draft-free permanent ventilation with an additional 10 square feet of supplemental ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

You are measuring in inches what is usually measured in feet, so that gets a little confusing.

NAILED IT.

Those little louvered shed vents are essentially USELESS.

Taking strips of siding off and replacing them with hardware cloth is what's wanted. :)

You need to first calculate the necessary square footage based on the number of birds, 1 square foot per bird. That's your THEORETICAL minimum for 24/7/365 ventilation .

Then, if you live in a hot climate you should probably double or triple that.

Beyond that, you may want additional supplemental ventilation that's opened in hot weather and closed in cold weather.

My brooder here has 16 square feet of absolutely draft-free permanent ventilation with an additional 10 square feet of supplemental ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

NAILED IT.

Taking strips of siding off and replacing them with hardware cloth is what's wanted. :)
4 square feet per bird. and the more ventslstion the better. Do not close ventalation off in the winter as the birds create moisture and will get frostbite. The outside run should be 10 sqare feet per bird.

Last edited:
my dog (german shepherd) ate tin and got out of the shed. you have to protect all corners of your shed so that big animals cannot enter. it looks as if a bear could tear off tin at the corners.
We don't have bears. :) Well, technically they exist around here, but pretty few and far between. We'll do a bit of fixing on the shed.

NAILED IT.

Darn. I was hoping to use those because the shed doesn't actually have much of a roof overhang.

I'll figure it out.

Darn. I was hoping to use those because the shed doesn't actually have much of a roof overhang.

I'll figure it out.

You can make awnings. The ones on my brooder are terribly redneck because I just made use of some scrap metal siding that was left on the property we bought, but it's possible to make them look nicer than this:

cover-image

Not sure if this has been said yet but, with the cost of lumber right now (at least in my area) and other parts and products, for just five hens you could get a small manufactured coop/run. Youd be able to move it around your yard.

Something like this or similar.
Best Choice Products 70in Mobile Fir Wood Chicken Coop Tractor Hen House Poultry Cage for 3-5 Hens, Outdoor, Animal Care w/ Wheels, 2 Doors, Nest Box, Removable Tray, UV Panel https://a.co/d/2Vz4S1I

Easier to predator proof and you could drill extra insulation. If you have a shady spot you could put it, even better.

Sorry just thought I'd throw that in there!

Not sure if this has been said yet but, with the cost of lumber right now (at least in my area) and other parts and products, for just five hens you could get a small manufactured coop/run. Youd be able to move it around your yard.

Best Choice Products 70in Mobile Fir Wood Chicken Coop Tractor Hen House Poultry Cage for 3-5 Hens, Outdoor, Animal Care w/ Wheels, 2 Doors, Nest Box, Removable Tray, UV Panel https://a.co/d/2Vz4S1I

Easier to predator proof and you could drill extra insulation. If you have a shady spot you could put it, even better.

Funny thing is, I decoded to not go that route based on a prior post about a couple pre-fab coops I found, where everyone told me they were way too small and not made well enough, etc. LOL

First Rule of Thumb in re: chicken coops,

If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suited for toy chickens.

Those prefabs are undersized, ill-ventilated, badly designed, and poorly-made. :(

Back
Top Bottom