Thoughts on converting a corner of this shed.

Not sure if this has been said yet but, with the cost of lumber right now (at least in my area) and other parts and products, for just five hens you could get a small manufactured coop/run.

Erm... sorry, this is not a good idea. Those little prefabs are just terrible. They don't meet minimum requirements and you have to ad hoc ventilation, plus the materials are sub-par.
Kind of like using Ikea stuff as patio furniture... I actually have something like that going right now as I needed something to put my potted plants on and I hated that old desk. You don't want to know what it looks like now, but hey, 1/3rd of it is still capable of holding pots so I'm going to use it until it dies.
That's the reason we pound this issue, not to be pitb, but I can't even imagine the number of people who get those coops and regret it. Do they give up on chickens? How much money do they lose? I don't know.

OP, to get back to the reason for your thread... I want to encourage you that it shouldn't be too hard to install the HW Cloth instead of those vents. @3KillerBs had previously posted some electric metal shears that cost about $45. If you cut your metal siding straight enough, you could probably use it for the overhang. I have no advice on how to cut straight, you don't want to see what we did to our shed, lol, so we just covered it with trim. Circular Saws are heavy to hold sideways while up on a ladder!
1/2 inch HW Cloth seems to be everyone's favorite so it doesn't get clogged with dust or let in small predators. You can sandwich the HW cloth under trim boards or secure it with washers and screws. I think your shed will make a great coop and you'll have so much space for storage!

Sorry Ive never heard of that usually its just the top of the coop as much ventalation as you can get.

These are the Usual Guidelines for space requirements:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
They're *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules*, but the main thing with ventilation is that the inside of the coop should be at the same temperature and humidity as the outside.

Here in the Steamy Southeast, I frequently find that I need double or triple that amount of ventilation just to keep a coop under 100F on a 90F degree day unless the coop is located in deep shade -- though the monitor is the best for non-shaded locations.

Placement of ventilation matters. Air FLOW is key: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

The "ventilation" on those little prefabs looks like this:

rotisserie-2-png.3154815

:hit

These are the Usual Guidelines for space requirements:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
They're *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules*, but the main thing with ventilation is that the inside of the coop should be at the same temperature and humidity as the outside.

Here in the Steamy Southeast, I frequently find that I need double or triple that amount of ventilation just to keep a coop under 100F on a 90F degree day unless the coop is located in deep shade -- though the monitor is the best for non-shaded locations.

Placement of ventilation matters. Air FLOW is key: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

The "ventilation" on those little prefabs looks like this:

rotisserie-2-png.3154815

:hit
Thank you very helpful Im building m coop and working on ventalation at the moment just installed 2 fans.

Gosh, I'm kind of an idiot! I've been all "Oh my God I have to be done in 2 weeks!" But, I totally don't have to be 100% done with the permanent coop. It's summer and they're only just fully feathered out so they're what, 8 weeks old? They won't be laying for weeks yet! We can throw together a chicken tractor and let them live in that until the coop is done. Thanks to you fine folks, I have lots of ideas.

I got too excited. :ya

Gosh, I'm kind of an idiot! I've been all "Oh my God I have to be done in 2 weeks!" But, I totally don't have to be 100% done with the permanent coop. It's summer and they're only just fully feathered out so they're what, 8 weeks old? They won't be laying for weeks yet! We can throw together a chicken tractor and let them live in that until the coop is done. Thanks to you fine folks, I have lots of ideas.

I got too excited. :ya

Just make sure it's predator-proof.

1/2" hardware cloth, and anti-dig skirt, either firmly-fastened down or too heavy to flip.

But it's handy to have another small structure.

Check out my brooder. Not the greatest thing ever built (if we'd have built it we'd have built it differently), and I hate it not being full-height, but useful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

Back
Top Bottom