Thoughts on corn in poultry feeds.

I think in the US that there has been a lot of discussion in recent years about whether or not GMO feeds are safe, better, or worse than non-GMO ingredients. Many consumers are uninformed or perhaps over-informed by media and internet sites. Whether supported by science or not (right or wrong), many people like to think that opting for corn-free/GMO free feed is somehow safer and healthier for their hens and therefore for their families as consumers of the meat and eggs.
Before the availability of commercial species-specific feeds, how did chickens feed themselves? By eating bugs/beetles & scratching around behind the cows, picking out the undigested corn kernels from their manure. Worked then, should work now.

Corn and other grain would be a lot more desirable if most of it wasn't sprayed with glyphosates. First, crops were developed that can withstand the chemical, in order to battle insects but they found that they can also use it to kill some crops before harvest, making harvesting less of a hassle for them. Thanks farmers.

https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-1882187755.html

Corn and other grain would be a lot more desirable if most of it wasn't sprayed with glyphosates. First, crops were developed that can withstand the chemical, in order to battle insects but they found that they can also use it to kill some crops before harvest, making harvesting less of a hassle for them. Thanks farmers.

https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-1882187755.html

they are a organic and non gmo feed mill

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-10_11-52-43.png
    upload_2019-1-10_11-52-43.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 12
I LIKE COLORED PARTICLES IN THE FEED BECAUSE IT MAKES THE MONKEY IN ME THINK CANDY! BUYING THE FEED IS ABOUT ME! like a country song.
I must admit that I am guilty of this too. :oops: Put two sacks of gamebird feed next to each other and I will buy the more colorful one.

Hello GreenMountainEric.
A bit off topic but while you're here....
I used to be able to buy a fishmeal based feed here produced by a local supplier.
I can't find such a feed here now and what I use is entirely grain and vegetable based.
Fish provides all 8 of the essential amino acids that make a complete protein suitable for chickens. This feed also contained corn which I understand is most useful for providing kerotin which is required for nail, spur and feather growth, apart from it's protein and carbohydrate content.
I'm keen on the chickens here remaining omnivorous so I feed them fish or meat three times a week.
My question is, why don't feed producers make feeds with fishmeal?

Back
Top Bottom