Thoughts on corn in poultry feeds.

We do, but freight rates on small orders are often the biggest problem. If someone is only looking for a couple bags, the freight cost almost doubles the cost of the product. We do have customers nationwide that will buy it anyway, but its not cheap. Most of our product is moved through our dealers in the northeast (New England, NY, PA, NJ, MD, and WV).

I am in Maryland, but don't know of any dealers that carry Green Mountain Feeds. I tried the locator on the website and couldn't find any within 100 miles. Is that accurate?

I am in Maryland, but don't know of any dealers that carry Green Mountain Feeds. I tried the locator on the website and couldn't find any within 100 miles. Is that accurate?

Ya, Sorry. The only store in MD is Poulin Grain dealer, so it isn't listed on our site. Our products are available at any Poulin Grain dealer, as well as the locations listed on our site.

Myers Feeds in Upper Marlboro is a Poulin Grain dealer. I am not sure of their usual stock on our product, but if they don't have what you are looking for (if they are close enough to you), They can order it on their regular Poulin orders.

Ya, Sorry. The only store in MD is Poulin Grain dealer, so it isn't listed on our site. Our products are available at any Poulin Grain dealer, as well as the locations listed on our site.

Myers Feeds in Upper Marlboro is a Poulin Grain dealer. I am not sure of their usual stock on our product, but if they don't have what you are looking for (if they are close enough to you), They can order it on their regular Poulin orders.

Unfortunately, that is too far for me. I only have 11 chickens, so I wouldn't even buy much. I'll have to check periodically to see if any other dealers get added.

Corns is not a filler neither bad for poultry health, actually you can include it up to 60% of the total ration with having any problem. So where is the conception is coming from you say? will, some studies where conducted on low quality corn which has found that it has higher rate of fungal infections as the low quality corn breaks easily and exposes the nutrients inside to outside weather which will result in fungal infestation and loss in nutritional value; so as long as you are using grade A corn you should be fine.

Corns is not a filler neither bad for poultry health, actually you can include it up to 60% of the total ration with having any problem. So where is the conception is coming from you say? will, some studies where conducted on low quality corn which has found that it has higher rate of fungal infections as the low quality corn breaks easily and exposes the nutrients inside to outside weather which will result in fungal infestation and loss in nutritional value; so as long as you are using grade A corn you should be fine.
You are not getting my point at all.

What is your point then sir?
It is not about quality of feedstuff, rather is it is about over reliance on too few feedstuff options. There is always the real possibility of a major crop failure in corn production, regionally or globally. Those overly reliant upon corn are not going to have a backup plan. Those willing to use other options now will know how affective other feedstuffs options.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not about quality of feedstuff, rather is it is about over reliance on too few feedstuff options. There is always the real possibility of a major crop failure in corn production, regionally or globally. Those overly reliant upon corn are not going to have a backup plan. Those willing to use other options now will know how affective other feedstuffs options.
That is my bad, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an FYI, I am an organic and non-gmo conventional manufacturer. So both types of feed that I manufacture are non-gmo.

Ironically, I don’t have particularly strong views on GMO’s, but do understand the concerns of others.

Good Post!

Just figured id add my 2c onto this. I am a bit of what could be called a "hippie" now days so i do have personal concerns about foods which have chemical residue (pesticides herbicides) as well as GMO crops. But id agree with what some of the previous posters said about GMOs and such. I think that is typically the concern for some of us out there, but i also do feel that corn in general now days gets a bad rep in any animal feed. People think about "corn fed" beef....and that rings the "bad bell" in peoples heads. Unfortunately its just an overall lack of education i think. They assume that 'oh corn is bad for cows so it must be bad for my chickens'. Or 'oh most of my chickens food will be "cheap" corn and not have anything else in there'. So i think educating the customer about what is actually healthy and nutritious for their flock might be a good avenue to go down, so that they can be informed that corn isnt necessarily "unhealthy" for their flock.
What i go back to is my grandpa and his family farm back in the day. They fed their chickens nothing but cracked corn they grew in the fields, and had been doing that for generations upon generations. Hes 96 and still in incredibly good condition, his whole farming family was very healthy eating these chickens and their eggs. The chickens did well with a corn fed diet, everything was fine back then, so i figure its probably ok for me to feed my chickens corn now, and i do. Good luck in your endeavor.

M:bun

Back
Top Bottom