Thoughts on Dry Hatch & Oh Yea They're Hatching!! Pics added

Technically I gotta say you are right!

Final tally is 10/12. Ready for some pics?
I have 2 with their legs splinted. It didn't really look like spraddle. Just weak and couldn't stand well so I figured it couldn't hurt. Gave them some poly vi sol and they're sittin in cups exercising. Well mostly sleeping I guess!

Hello cruel world!
027.jpg

041-1.jpg

Drying off
046.jpg

Isn't hatching out of 1 shell hard enough!?
051.jpg

Notice the nice clean zips
056.jpg

068.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

All in all I have to say it was a success!

I have an older model hovabator 1602n. If I don't add any water until day 18 will that be considered dry incubation? I will probably shoot for 60-65% humidity for the last three days. I am going to try this for my next hatch. I hope I have a good hatch rate!

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread with great interest; does anyone do the weight loss method? I find this method to be the most accurate, and there's absolutely no guessing on humidity, because you know when you weigh the eggs exactly how well they're drying down. Anyone?

So did anyone have any thoughts on the air cell in my pics? I am wondering bc humidity is down to 30, and I don't know how comfortable I am going to bed with it at that without knowing what everyone thinks about my air cell size for day 12. ? :-/

sangel4u

I think your air cell looks ok for day 12. If you think it's small, then you would want to leave your humidity down for a while, that way the egg will loose more water= air cell gets bigger.

bj

JanieMarie

Those two sitting in the cups are just too cute. Did you just splint them with tape? How do the cups help with the weak legs? Besides just being too cute for words, they look very comfy in there...

bj

Oh, I get it.... does it just kind of prop them up for a while?

ok it's at 27 and not raising at all so I think before bed (even tho I'll prob be up half the night with my 6yr old who's throwing up and has a 105 fever) I'm going to add a little bit of water at least to get it into the 30s. Thanks.

Quote:
Hi Wynette, I did try the weight loss method, but I was at that point not aware of how little water was actually needed to get them to weigh down. So I was adding too much water and didn't make it to a good point of dry down. I lost quite a few.
I am finding it much easier to just to the dry hatch and watch for the air cells. If they look like they are getting too big (and rarely do) then I add a bit more water to ease up on the process. I just try to balance it between 25 and 30 with ranges going from 13 EEk to 60. But everyone is developing well and the air cells look great.
I am still learning on this too.

Back
Top Bottom