Thoughts on Purina feeds?

Pics
So Nutrena is not Non GMO & from what I've read Land O Lakes owns Purina & Cargill owns Nutrena. Cargill owns a Purina only outside the US. I would guess that is from years past when Purina Mills sold off their livestock feed to Land O Lakes in the US & obviously to someone else outside the US.

So Nutrena is not Non GMO
Thanks for the update about the parent companies! Nutrena is a brand name and they make many products.. some of them being organic which always means non gmo... a link to their site show's their "Nature SMART" product is organic/non gmo..
https://www.nutrenaworld.com/poultry-feeds

I'm not sure I understand the confusion.. But then I guess that's EXACTLY why they makes so many products, with so many different names, despite being practically the same.. to confuse us! Marketing scheme. :he

I did see an ad of interest on my local CL for $20/50# non gmo.. feed.. it's slightly farther than I wanna go.. but at these prices AND organic.. it's gonna be hard not to seriously consider making the switch.. That's literally only $1-2 more per bag.. so if I kept my flock size down :oops: could go organic for only like $10 more per month.. THAT might be doable! Anyone in Oregon might be close enough to take advantage of it..

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/grd/d/creswell-fresh-milled-chicken-and-pig/7197601451.html

:pop

Thanks for the update about the parent companies! Nutrena is a brand name and they make many products.. some of them being organic which always means non gmo... a link to their site show's their "Nature SMART" product is organic/non gmo..
https://www.nutrenaworld.com/poultry-feeds

I'm not sure I understand the confusion.. But then I guess that's EXACTLY why they makes so many products, with so many different names, despite being practically the same.. to confuse us! Marketing scheme. :he

I did see an ad of interest on my local CL for $20/50# non gmo.. feed.. it's slightly farther than I wanna go.. but at these prices AND organic.. it's gonna be hard not to seriously consider making the switch.. That's literally only $1-2 more per bag.. so if I kept my flock size down :oops: could go organic for only like $10 more per month.. THAT might be doable! Anyone in Oregon might be close enough to take advantage of it..

https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/grd/d/creswell-fresh-milled-chicken-and-pig/7197601451.html

:pop
Too bad I'm not close to get it, sounds reasonable and fresh.

I currently use Green Mountain Feeds for my flock and I think I will continue to, but just wanna know what people think of purina feeds. Why do you like it? Why don't you like it?
I use Purina Layer pellets with Omega. I figured if I'm going to be eating eggs, I'd make them better for us if thats possible.
For the younger fock, I feed the Medicated Grower Started crumblesand they gobble it up.
Since they are 22 weeks, I'm mixing the pellets with the crumbles to wean them over. Right now, the ratio is 50:50.
I buy it at TSC and they love it.
I also buy their scratch with grains as an occasional treat plus the Oyster shell. If I feel the big girls need a little pick me up because of the Florida heat and humidity, I'll add a little Starter feed to their pellets. Their plumage is full and vibrant.
They walked away from TSC Dumors plus, it had a lot of powder. They also turned their beaks up at the Dumors Scratch too.
I've read on a BYC posting once that Dumors is made by Purina. All I can say about that is, the recipe must be different because my girls won't give it the time or day.
I've put each feed brand side by side and they went for the Purina Brand.
Good luck with your choice.

I use Purina Layer pellets with Omega. I figured if I'm going to be eating eggs, I'd make them better for us if thats possible.
For the younger fock, I feed the Medicated Grower Started crumblesand they gobble it up.
Since they are 22 weeks, I'm mixing the pellets with the crumbles to wean them over. Right now, the ratio is 50:50.
I buy it at TSC and they love it.
I also buy their scratch with grains as an occasional treat plus the Oyster shell. If I feel the big girls need a little pick me up because of the Florida heat and humidity, I'll add a little Starter feed to their pellets. Their plumage is full and vibrant.
They walked away from TSC Dumors plus, it had a lot of powder. They also turned their beaks up at the Dumors Scratch too.
I've read on a BYC posting once that Dumors is made by Purina. All I can say about that is, the recipe must be different because my girls won't give it the time or day.
I've put each feed brand side by side and they went for the Purina Brand.
Good luck with your choice.
What did you do with the unwanted feed?

This chicken newbie definitely appreciates all the great info in this thread!

My 3 barred rock girls are 18 weeks. I went back and forth about flock raiser & oyster shell on the side vs. layer feed & oyster shell. Bought the 50 lb bag of Purina Layena crumbles at TSC, mixed it in with what’s left of their Purina Starter Grower and they won’t eat it! Layena is very dark compared to the SG — I guess the molasses someone mentioned. Their poops were almost black looking in color😯!

I wish they’d make sample size bags so I could try a few out. After reading this thread I’m going to try the flock raiser & oyster shell. They LOVED the SG crumbles so not sure if I want to tempt fate and try pellets. I also appreciate learning that it’s ok to try different brands/formulations (while being mindful of protein %) — wasn’t sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom