Thoughts on quail for personal meat production?

I'm raising quail for meat production.

I would highly recommend avoiding celedons if you want to eat the eggs or meat. They are bred for egg color only. They are hard to sex for a first time, and expensive. Go with the "jumbo" pharaoh and you'll have a better run for sure.

It's easy and you only need a few quail per person in your family.

I've only been at it for a few months but I am enjoying it and producing some of my own food so it has been worth it. With that being said I am going to start trying to track my expenses for.the birds so I can really see what they cost to raise. I am hoping that they are enough meet and eggs for the cost because like I said so far I enjoy them.
When it comes to processing them I would say they are similar to a chicken but ever thing is much smaller and for me more manageable solo. Good luck and let us know what your thoughts are.

This is an excellent step-by-step description. My personal preference is to scald and pluck.
Thanks!
1601000448790.png
I tried to include several methods so people could choose the one they like. I like the skin, so I prefer to pluck.

I just processed my first quail today - to be honest, my dread of the whole thing far exceeded the reality. I’m kind of relieved now its over. I just wanted to do eggs and meat for two as well, but came to realise that even if I didn’t have the stomach for dispatching, it‘s still a necessary part of the whole cycle. There’s real problems when you end up with too many males in the covey and then you don’t get many eggs because fertility drops. And there’s bullies that kill the other birds, and then there’s the victims of the bullies sometimes needing euthanising and then you have to refresh the flock to keep your layers young.... I just realised that no matter what you do, you kind of have to be prepared to do what you need to do for the good of the flock. And its honestly not as bad as you think it’s going to be. RIP James Bond the Bully Quail - your service is complete!

I just hatched my second batch of Coturnix and will be dispatching my excess males soon. Thanks for information on the processing. It is nice seeing the whole cycle from hatching to raising to hatching again. I feel like I have finally finished something. Good luck with your birds Birbdabble….

very do able but as someone said I'd go with a Jumbo Brown or pharaoh and not worry about the egg color. I have some of the standard and the jumbo and the jumbos at 10 weeks are noticeably larger. To date I've only eaten the excess males but the females are bigger. I don't have enough to eat an egg layer. I do have a hen that's been warned though. :)

You can bring in the celadon layers later on.

Quail can be easier than chickens. The only part that’s edible really is the breast so it goes quicker than a chicken, but it takes two or three birds per person for a meal. You don’t even have to remove the feathers, just reach in and pull out the breast and you’re done.

Quail can be easier than chickens. The only part that’s edible really is the breast so it goes quicker than a chicken, but it takes two or three birds per person for a meal. You don’t even have to remove the feathers, just reach in and pull out the breast and you’re done.
Not true! I eat the legs and such too. Quail quarters make excellent dakgangjeong!

0926201814.jpg

Back
Top Bottom