Thoughts on this kill cone stand from eBay?

for example:
0004031_slaughter-cone-large_grande.jpg

*not my picture

They usually come with a predrilled hole that you can use to screw the cone into a piece of wood.

I like to use a washer with the screw so it is more secure.

like this:
with_washers.jpg

*also not my picture
Just hook to the fence will work as well.

Way too expensive. Easy enough to hook a cone (even a traffic cone will do) to any vertical board and take down afterwards. If you are not the one doing the cut you may want to ask the people who are doing that part for you what they prefer.
I got a cone at coops and more in Texas for about $20 as an add on to my larger order to get a discount. Yesterday I went to harvest session with a friend who was tutoring me on it. We didn't even use the cone (I didn't even take it there). Just a hook on a gazebo and a string and bucket set up.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I think I’m going to explore the traffic cone/tomato cage angle. I do have a lot of the tomato cages laying around so maybe I can test those out. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just look back here!

Just wanted to update - we processed the two CX yesterday. I ended up buying a single cone. Put up a screw hook that is permanent and slipped the cone onto it. That way it’s not permanent, and the hook can be used for other things. Wrapped some wire around the cone and post so the cone didn’t swing (the cone only had a single hole to hang). Put bucket underneath. Seemed to work! Only thing different would be to put something against the post itself because some blood ran down it, and a wider bucket underneath.

EDIT: and sorry, didn’t even think to take a pic 🤦‍♀️

Just wanted to update - we processed the two CX yesterday. I ended up buying a single cone. Put up a screw hook that is permanent and slipped the cone onto it. That way it’s not permanent, and the hook can be used for other things. Wrapped some wire around the cone and post so the cone didn’t swing (the cone only had a single hole to hang). Put bucket underneath. Seemed to work! Only thing different would be to put something against the post itself because some blood ran down it, and a wider bucket underneath.

EDIT: and sorry, didn’t even think to take a pic 🤦‍♀️
I put an old feed bag up in back of the cone - roll it up, throw away when done and put up a new one for next time.

Back
Top Bottom