Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Guys, I'm so sad about my little runner. He was so pretty. Once I took him out (after he'd passed) his nose looked clogged. Maybe he was never breathing? He never did peep. He was gorgeous though. I've never seen any duck quite like him. He had silver (not yellow) under his head and belly and the rest was like brindle blue and blue-silver. And he had a silver mallard-like stripe above his eye. He was an interesting one, all right. What could I have done differently?

He still had about a dime-sized yolk he needed to absorb.

Last edited:
There may not have been anything you could have done differently. Sometimes these things just happen.

Before you try again, I would read (if you haven't already) the waterfowl incubation guide that's in the "stickies" under the ducks or geese sections. There are step by step instructions in there.

Guys, I'm so sad about my little runner. He was so pretty. Once I took him out (after he'd passed) his nose looked clogged. Maybe he was never breathing? He never did peep. He was gorgeous though. I've never seen any duck quite like him. He had silver (not yellow) under his head and belly and the rest was like brindle blue and blue-silver. And he had a silver mallard-like stripe above his eye. He was an interesting one, all right. What could I have done differently?
I'm so sorry for your loss,
hugs.gif

BIG
hugs.gif
your way

I have some very sad news the first pipper died, not sure why just got most of its head out and died
sad.png
hugs.gif

He didn't make it. Thanks for all of your help.
I'm so sorry. I was having a horrible time earlier this season and I'm an experienced hatcher. Unfortunately, they don't all make it.
hugs.gif

I have goslings pipping anc chatting in the incubator this morning. I didn't plan it this way, but I'm going to have Easter Day goslings!
Exciting! My Easter hatch is wanting to come early. Got one cayuga (finally!) and three chikies hatched already!
Poor egg position can be for several reasons. Did you have the eggs in an automatic turner? Were the eggs shipped? I need to know variables to help you troubleshoot. Most of the middle pippers I've had were from shipped eggs where the air cell wasn't in good condition to start with.

If he still had yolk to absorb, he probably wouldn't have made it, even with help.
hugs.gif

Question. I have already hatched one of my Pekin ducks out. The little guy practically catapulted out of his shell yesterday around 1 in the afternoon (2 days early) My other 8 eggs in the incubator have not internally pipped yet. I candled a couple last night and I couldn't see movement inside. They have, however, rubbed the membrane off of the inside of the shell right under the air cell. (When I say rubbed off, I mean the shell looks more opaque, but from the inside). Should I start worrying yet?? They still have one more day before they are supposed to hatch (Sunday night was when I planned).

Kinda URGENT*** Hoping this will get seen here.. I have one chick out (yest at 3pm, it's not almost 1pm now).. earlier I noticed another is finally pipped but I finally got impatient just now and checked out the pip. It wasn't fully through the membrane (beneath the shell) so I completed it. The membrane was pretty rubbery. Not terribly hard to get through but I did have to try. I completed the hole and put the egg back in its original position.

Question is, should I worry for the others? They have all been pecking away but no other pips yet. Just want to be sure when to worry and how long to wait. All eggs have been internally pipped for a couple days now, and although the first one had no trouble at all getting out is it possible the others might??

edit: I did spray down the eggs just now and put more water in the bator.. wet that membrane with my fingertip/water too..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom