Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Wow, I was hoping that was not the answer. :) I guess I have a long summer ahead of me with these last two. Thanks for the response!

So, the ducks have driven me batty by laying, instead of in the coop, outside in the run in the mud. So I decided to accommodate them.

That's right, I tarped around a whole area of the run, AND put a tarp over the top to keep the rain out, and tossed a golf ball in to be encouraging. Here are two of them checking it out:

So no more muddy eggs! Or they'll just lay right next to it. Ducks :rolleyes:

Amykins, I would set the air cell end up if you can for lockdown, to keep the air cell where it should be so the duckling can pip into it.
I think I made a mistake - it's not detached, it's just reaaaally lopsided. I worry that if I set it upright for lockdown, it'll confuse the baby because it developed on its side the whole time. Strangely, the air cell began out looking pretty normal, but instead of growing bigger, it just grew down one side of the egg like a stocking with a run in it. Should I still keep it upright? Keep it with the "run" side up?

I wanted to give a quick UPDATE.

The two ducklings have a bump in their abdomen and a little extra to absorb. The weaker of the two has detached from the shell completely. The other is attached by two dead looking membrane strings. The weaker duckling I think may have some sort of leg problem. The little thing was crammed into a tiny area since there were air sacs on both top and bottom. I think the little space may have not let the joint of its right leg form properly. The leg is almost always lagging behind when it pushes itself around and when laying. I am periodically placing that leg forward, but not too much. I do not want to stress it out. The other duckling seems stronger and both feet seem okay. They both still seem weaker than the first two, but I am thankful they have made it this far. I will update again when they are up and moving, as well as keeping their eyes open. The stronger opens eyes sometimes, but the other does not really. I wonder if its eyes are okay?

Does anyone know, if there is a day age when you are, for the most part, are out of the woods? Thanks again everyone!

They are obviously not ready for swimming yet, but after their yolk sacs are absorbed and they are fully hatched, I would let them have supervised swimming time. You'll have to make sure to get them dried off really well afterward. I've noticed that swimming dramatically improves the leg function on my ducklings that are having leg problems.

I've never lost a duckling after after it's passed this critical stage. Pretty much once they are hatched and the yolk fully absorbed, they've been fine. This is just my experience, though.
I think I made a mistake - it's not detached, it's just reaaaally lopsided. I worry that if I set it upright for lockdown, it'll confuse the baby because it developed on its side the whole time. Strangely, the air cell began out looking pretty normal, but instead of growing bigger, it just grew down one side of the egg like a stocking with a run in it. Should I still keep it upright? Keep it with the "run" side up?

I've never had an air cell like that, but I hatch all my eggs on their sides. Even the shipped ones with messed up air cells. I think everyone has a different method to their madness. We all do what we've found works best for our incubation setup. There's definitely a learning curve, though.
smile.png

Last edited:

The two ducklings have a bump in their abdomen and a little extra to absorb. The weaker of the two has detached from the shell completely. The other is attached by two dead looking membrane strings. The weaker duckling I think may have some sort of leg problem. The little thing was crammed into a tiny area since there were air sacs on both top and bottom. I think the little space may have not let the joint of its right leg form properly. The leg is almost always lagging behind when it pushes itself around and when laying. I am periodically placing that leg forward, but not too much. I do not want to stress it out. The other duckling seems stronger and both feet seem okay. They both still seem weaker than the first two, but I am thankful they have made it this far. I will update again when they are up and moving, as well as keeping their eyes open. The stronger opens eyes sometimes, but the other does not really. I wonder if its eyes are okay?

Does anyone know, if there is a day age when you are, for the most part, are out of the woods? Thanks again everyone!

That sounds good. It's probably just exhausted. For most of the day after mine hatched they just shuffled around a bit and slept. They didn't do a lot. Keep an eye out, excuse the pun. If it's bit opening its eyes in the next day or so then maybe something's up. Probs just tired though. If the other ones leg is deformed, could be a problem but yeah I'd defo try the swimming thing when they get a but bigger, like a couple if days! If its just spraddle/straddle (can't remember which) leg then you can correct it yourself. But needs to be done sooner rather than later. Sounds like they are doing really well :)

Last edited:
Quote: i had a grown blue swede get attacked by an owl, and her leg was messed up....she couldn't even get and keep herself upright, i had to prop her up in a cage by herself... but i would put her in the pool 4 or 5 times a day and help her to swim around....it's not really the same thing, but her legs were fine in just a couple of weeks, also, when it comes to keeping things moist.... i used bacitracin with no painkiller to moisten membranes during my hatch, it kept things really moist and you didn't have to keep reapplying it like with water...but that baggie idea....pure genius!!!!

Now that I'm finally home, I can show you this:

That's Cupcake, a welsh harlequin duckling that jumped the gun and tried to hatch before her yolk was absorbed at all. What I did was cut the corner off a Ziploc bag, push her back into her shell, wrapped a wet paper towel around the shell to provide moisture, and put the whole thing in the bag. I pulled her head through the corner of the bag, and voila! Everything stays moist, she can't pull away from the yolk too early, and the next day, she was good to go.
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks guys!

Amykins, I would set the air cell end up if you can for lockdown, to keep the air cell where it should be so the duckling can pip into it.

Also, in other news, I've gotten three eggs in two days now, so another ducky has started up. Woot! Quackrrs, I'll have eggs for you before you know it. Funnily enough, every egg that they've laid so far this year has gone off to be hatched, lol.
Hooray for eggs!

Sometimes it takes a few days for a duckling to really figure its legs out. I've had many who figured it out after worrying me sick... and only one who was too bad off to save.

Hatching is hard work. They'll be up and zooming in no time.
As far as I know the only time you're out of the woods is when your 'lings are fully grown. ><;;
LOL. Oh, so true!
So, the ducks have driven me batty by laying, instead of in the coop, outside in the run in the mud. So I decided to accommodate them.

That's right, I tarped around a whole area of the run, AND put a tarp over the top to keep the rain out, and tossed a golf ball in to be encouraging. Here are two of them checking it out:

So no more muddy eggs! Or they'll just lay right next to it. Ducks
roll.png
Lol. Mine like to lay in the dog carriers I leave filled with bedding. But they still drop a few in the mud from time to time.
Um, high everyone!
frow.gif
I've met most of the "new" folks to the thread, but not everyone.

Hows hatching? My DD is bugging me back and forth wanting swans and button quail....hatched of course.
th.gif
Hey Marty!!!

Hatching has slowed down for me quite a bit. I've got a couple full bators, but nobody is expected for almost 3 weeks. Nice to have a break from cleaning and refilling hatchers every three days.

I don't think I could do swans. But I have guinea eggs in the bator... and I said I'd never do them either.

Last edited:
LOCKDOWN IS TOMORROW alsja;ldsjasl;djal;sdjal;djal

When should I expect to see the egg rocking? Day 23/24?

Back
Top Bottom