Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Marty so good to see you back.
frow.gif
a scooter accident? glad you okay.

Miss Lydia!

Quackers!!

Everyone!!!

Hi all! I'm sorry I've been off. We've had unseasonably cold and wet weather, and in it I've managed to get into a little scooter accident. (eyeroll) I'm OK, and glad to be back home and online! IT seems like weeks... Oh wait, yep, it's been weeks.

Hugs!
Marty!!! Hope you're feeling better after your accident!
hugs.gif

Missed you!

We are letting out broody duck hatch her own eggs. At this point we only have one egg, yesterday it was moving around and we even heard it peep. Today no movement. It is still alive :( We are day 28 today and they are Indian Runners. A snake was eating most of our eggs and 2 just stopped developing :( Can you help?

I got bitten by a broody duck today. Not snapped at, not pecked at. Bitten.

I found her in a pile of brush on her nest in the field at work. She was panting, so I got her a bowl of water and took it to her. I was trying to slowly offer her the water when she struck. Bit my hand and would not let go. Literally play tug of war with my hand.

I had to go refill the water dish and I'm going to have a bruise. Anyone who came upon such a scene would have wondered why I was holding an empty doggie dish in one hand, and an angry duck by the bill with the other. When I returned with the refilled water dish, she calmly accepted my kindness. Silly girl. She's got six eggs under her, fingers crossed for fuzzies!

I got bitten by a broody duck today. Not snapped at, not pecked at. Bitten.

I found her in a pile of brush on her nest in the field at work. She was panting, so I got her a bowl of water and took it to her. I was trying to slowly offer her the water when she struck. Bit my hand and would not let go. Literally play tug of war with my hand.

I had to go refill the water dish and I'm going to have a bruise. Anyone who came upon such a scene would have wondered why I was holding an empty doggie dish in one hand, and an angry duck by the bill with the other. When I returned with the refilled water dish, she calmly accepted my kindness. Silly girl. She's got six eggs under her, fingers crossed for fuzzies!

My daughter's showmanship duck went broody and she was the nicest, calmest duck before, toddlers could pick her up and carry her on their own, UNTIL she went broody. Then, she was the nastiest duck EVER! She would bite my daughter as you described, she bit her leader multiple times and left welts and bruises, she also bit other kids that were near her as my daughter practiced with her. It was awful. She is nice again, but a little more stand off-ish.

Now, we have a psycho mallard duck. While she was sitting, she was friendly and now that her babies are fully feathered she is crazy. She is our most timid duck and I'll be darn if that duck is charging people like a territorial pig. We will go to pick up any duck even full grown that are not near her and she will come from nowhere and attack. She bit my 8 yr old son on the calf yesterday for him trying to pick up one of our new adult drakes. Crazy duck!

What breed is she? Hopefully you will have babies soon. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom