Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

I do not think so as my son had pulled shell off and I seen what looked like some yolk that was attached to him and obviously torn off.

I do not think so as my son had pulled shell off and I seen what looked like some yolk that was attached to him and obviously torn off.
That's too bad a very hard way to learn to let them hatch on their own. without having the yolk sac to live on for a few days after hatch and not eating it doesn't sound good for this lil one. your the only one who can make this tough call. It just doesn't sound good.

hugs.gif
I hope you have more to hatch.

Last edited:
OK Yall, I'm moving my thread over here, because I'm on my first hatch, and I'm a nervous wreck!! I have 2 eggs in our incubator, unknown what breed but most likely a runner mix. Today is day 25. Last night I went to rotate for the last time and heard chirping! One of our two had an internal pip. The other started rocking and rolling this morning. I checked on them every couple hours last night, and more of the same. Faint chirping and lots of movement of the eggs. I did not candle egg #2 so I am unsure if it has an internal pip yet. I have put the incubator on lockdown.

I noticed over the last few hours that there is a purple/blackish "stain" on egg #1. It is still seeming to be chirping and moving. What does this mean? I can't find any info really. Should I be concerned?

I don't have a hydrometer (I know, big mistake) so I've moved the incubator into my bathroom so I can add more humidity into the air. It is a dry winter day here and I'm sure the humidity is on the low side in the rest of the house.

I have a brooder box all set up when they are hatched, at what point should I move them to the brooder?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've browsed the first 200 pages of this thread, but I just don't have time to read all 3000 of them! :) You all are so helpful, I appreciate any advice you can give.Thank you!!!

OK Yall, I'm moving my thread over here, because I'm on my first hatch, and I'm a nervous wreck!! I have 2 eggs in our incubator, unknown what breed but most likely a runner mix. Today is day 25. Last night I went to rotate for the last time and heard chirping! One of our two had an internal pip. The other started rocking and rolling this morning. I checked on them every couple hours last night, and more of the same. Faint chirping and lots of movement of the eggs. I did not candle egg #2 so I am unsure if it has an internal pip yet. I have put the incubator on lockdown.

I noticed over the last few hours that there is a purple/blackish "stain" on egg #1. It is still seeming to be chirping and moving. What does this mean? I can't find any info really. Should I be concerned?

I don't have a hydrometer (I know, big mistake) so I've moved the incubator into my bathroom so I can add more humidity into the air. It is a dry winter day here and I'm sure the humidity is on the low side in the rest of the house.

I have a brooder box all set up when they are hatched, at what point should I move them to the brooder?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've browsed the first 200 pages of this thread, but I just don't have time to read all 3000 of them! :) You all are so helpful, I appreciate any advice you can give.Thank you!!!
I just checked again, Egg #1 (with purple spot) has started to crack through the shell!! I still hear chirping, but not sure which one it's coming from. Egg #2 is rocking back and forth quite a bit. I'm trying not to be too optimistic or excited, because anything can happen still, but this is just to much fun! I can't wait to see what happens next.

Congrats!! NOTHING more fun than hatching. Personally, I've always noticed my eggs getting a dark-ish or "oily" type stain on them during hatch. Like the way a napkin looks when it gets oil on it. Not sure if this describes yours but mine always seemed to spread as they worked away at the inside of the membrane. :)

I never have a way to measure humidity either, I just place wet cloths near the eggs inside the bator enough to fog the window.. And do NOT open too often, these guys need serious humidity to hatch!!

TRY (try!) to relax.. And enjoy! Oh and let them fluff up before moving to the brooder but also watch them if they are too active.. I had one touching the elements before which is no good either. :)

Congrats!! NOTHING more fun than hatching. Personally, I've always noticed my eggs getting a dark-ish or "oily" type stain on them during hatch. Like the way a napkin looks when it gets oil on it. Not sure if this describes yours but mine always seemed to spread as they worked away at the inside of the membrane.
smile.png

I never have a way to measure humidity either, I just place wet cloths near the eggs inside the bator enough to fog the window.. And do NOT open too often, these guys need serious humidity to hatch!!
Yes, it does look like an oily spot of sorts. These eggs are hopefully from one of my favorite ducks that disappeared the day she laid them. I can't wait to see these babies. I have a 3 and 5 year old who are BEYOND excited as well!

Sounds like you may not have too long to go.. Your brooder is warming, right? A stuffed animal is good for snuggling too in case one straggles. :)

Yes, brooder box is ready to go, and there's a stuffed stork in there in case we have a loner. Looks like Egg 1 has stalled a little bit, still moving but not much more crack progress. Egg #2 is slowly making progress and moving a ton. I'll keep you all posted!!

Back
Top Bottom