Three mysterious deaths

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So today when checking on my bosses chicks, I found three dead. The group is about two months old ish (I can’t remember exactly how old) and are almost completely feathered. I thought they overheated maybe but they still had water and it would have had to been during the night since I left yesterday at like 8 in the evening. Two were laying on their sides and one was laying on its belly. The rest of the flock is acting fine and everyone was fine yesterday. Any ideas? I had a thought that maybe, maybe since they were EE crosses there was something genetic, but for it to be three in one night, that seems improbable. No I don’t have pics because I needed to remove them asap.

So today when checking on my bosses chicks, I found three dead. The group is about two months old ish (I can’t remember exactly how old) and are almost completely feathered. I thought they overheated maybe but they still had water and it would have had to been during the night since I left yesterday at like 8 in the evening. Two were laying on their sides and one was laying on its belly. The rest of the flock is acting fine and everyone was fine yesterday. Any ideas? I had a thought that maybe, maybe since they were EE crosses there was something genetic, but for it to be three in one night, that seems improbable. No I don’t have pics because I needed to remove them asap.
Have you noticed any watery/bloody stools in the brooder?

Have you noticed any watery/bloody stools in the brooder?
They’re actually outside (we live in GA so it’s hot enough to keep older chicks outside without an issue) and I only care for them when the owner is out of town. From what I saw, all the stools looked normal. Then again, they’re in grass so it can be hard to see.

They’re actually outside (we live in GA so it’s hot enough to keep older chicks outside without an issue) and I only care for them when the owner is out of town. From what I saw, all the stools looked normal. Then again, they’re in grass so it can be hard to see.
Could I see a picture of their set-up?

Could I see a picture of their set-up?
Pictures will certainly help us, but maybe not with your boss.............:idunno
So I don’t have a picture but I can try to explain it as best I can.
There is the main run. Next to it is a secondary pen with all the EEs, a couple RIRs and a turkey. Inside that pen is a chicken tractor. That’s where these babies are. The chicken tractor is half shaded, half sun. On the shaded side, there is the waterer and feeder, which are hanging slightly off the ground to keep them clean. Every few days, it’s moved around so they have fresh grass and to let the grass regrow. The three dead were found on the uncovered side. One was right against the fence while the others were in the middle of the unshaded part.
I’m not sure there’s anything wrong with the chicken tractor because the RIRs and turkey were literally just in there at the beginning of the week.

So I don’t have a picture but I can try to explain it as best I can.
There is the main run. Next to it is a secondary pen with all the EEs, a couple RIRs and a turkey. Inside that pen is a chicken tractor. That’s where these babies are. The chicken tractor is half shaded, half sun. On the shaded side, there is the waterer and feeder, which are hanging slightly off the ground to keep them clean. Every few days, it’s moved around so they have fresh grass and to let the grass regrow. The three dead were found on the uncovered side. One was right against the fence while the others were in the middle of the unshaded part.
I’m not sure there’s anything wrong with the chicken tractor because the RIRs and turkey were literally just in there at the beginning of the week.
I wish I could say I figured out exactly what happened, but I’m going to be honest, I really am not sure. I would suggest keeping a good eye on them while you are there, to make sure none of the other ones start to decline, and keep checking their stools as best as possible. Sorry I can’t be more help.

I wish I could say I figured out exactly what happened, but I’m going to be honest, I really am not sure. I would suggest keeping a good eye on them while you are there, to make sure none of the other ones start to decline, and keep checking their stools as best as possible. Sorry I can’t be more help.
I was wondering if it could be SDS but then again…to lose three at the same time. I know it’s hard to determine chicken deaths. I was just hoping for some kind of explanation because I was an inkling that somehow this is going to be my fault since they were literally fine up until yesterday.

I was wondering if it could be SDS but then again…to lose three at the same time. I know it’s hard to determine chicken deaths. I was just hoping for some kind of explanation because I was an inkling that somehow this is going to be my fault since they were literally fine up until yesterday.
From what I can tell it is definitely not your fault! You did everything right. Sometimes things happen and there really isn’t any explanation.

From what I can tell it is definitely not your fault! You did everything right. Sometimes things happen and there really isn’t any explanation.
Luckily I’ve had no more mysterious losses. Though I am going to tell her to keep an eye on them because they just don’t seem to have as much energy as I’d like. They all kind of just laid around instead of acting like the usual active chicks.

Back
Top Bottom