Three wk old chick, chirping constantly, standing off by itself

VintageLilFarm

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2012
The Great Northwest
Three wk old Blue Marans chirps almost incessantly and is standing off by itself. It let's me pick it up, unlike any of the others, and it doesn't normally let me do that. I saw it drink a bit ago, I haven't watched it eat since this behavior began. I did see it poop and it looks like normal chick poo. A little more runny than firm, but not loose like diarrhea. It does take breaks sometimes in chirping, but then resumes again after a few minutes. If it's just an anxiety thing, I'm ok with letting it figure things out. If it is a sign there is something else wrong, I'd like to address it. Thanks!

I had just moved it from one style of brooder to another, so I love moved it back to the first one. It seemed happy then, ate, etc. Today I was going to try it on the new brooder again, but it wasn't acting very well. Standing in the heat of the lamp, not even attempting to run away when I reached toward it. Its crop felt a bit squishy like it had consumed water but not food. I brought it into my house, dropper fed it some molasses water and have it in a quiet box with a heat lamp where it can be under or move away. From the way it's looking though, I don't think it will make it. Weird. They are 3 weeks old. This one was fine until the day I posted about it chirping so much. I have three brooders, one with 9 chicks and the other two with 16+ chicks. They all have plenty of space, constant food and water, very clean areas, and none of the other chicks are acting the least bit sick.

Could be internal, but what does the poop look like?
Is the vent clear of pasting?
Will the chick drink?

At 3wks old chicks are susceptible to Coccidiosis overload, I would treat for that to see if there is any improvement.
Use Corid which can be found at most feed stores. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Since this chick is not doing well - consider giving her a drench of Corid in addition to the medicated water. Directions are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Could be internal, but what does the poop look like?
Is the vent clear of pasting?
Will the chick drink?

At 3wks old chicks are susceptible to Coccidiosis overload, I would treat for that to see if there is any improvement.
Use Corid which can be found at most feed stores. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Since this chick is not doing well - consider giving her a drench of Corid in addition to the medicated water. Directions are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

No, there was no pasty butt. It's crop was smooshy and barely touching it caused it to expel a foamy watery substance. Last I saw it's poop, it looked normal. Back in the larger brooder, I did not see it's individual poop. But there have been no bloody stools.

It did die a little while ago. Any ideas on what could make it have that crop condition at such a young age?

No, there was no pasty butt. It's crop was smooshy and barely touching it caused it to expel a foamy watery substance. Last I saw it's poop, it looked normal. Back in the larger brooder, I did not see it's individual poop. But there have been no bloody stools.

It did die a little while ago. Any ideas on what could make it have that crop condition at such a young age?

I'm very sorry to hear you lost her.

The foamy water could just have been crop contents when you pressed it, but if the crop was smooshy, then likely she had an impacted crop. I am fully in the camp that chicks need a source of grit (preferably crushed granite) free choice regardless of what they are eating-mine get it day 1. Chicks explore, they eat pine shavings, poop, paper towels, puppy pads - just about anything they can get in the beak or pick at and loosen up they eat - grit helps them process those "foreign objects".

Without further investigation, sending her for necropsy or you doing an informal one yourself (I've never performed one on a chick), it's just really a guess as to the cause of death.

fwiw - Coccidiosis overload does not always show as blood in the stool. There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect chickens. Of those 9 only 2 have a symptom of bloody stools, the rest can be mucousy or even bubbly - sometimes poop is not always the best indicator - behavior along with other symptoms have to be considered, but to positively know, a fecal float is the way to go.

Again, I'm sorry about your loss, you did everything you could for her.

I'm very sorry to hear you lost her.

The foamy water could just have been crop contents when you pressed it, but if the crop was smooshy, then likely she had an impacted crop. I am fully in the camp that chicks need a source of grit (preferably crushed granite) free choice regardless of what they are eating-mine get it day 1. Chicks explore, they eat pine shavings, poop, paper towels, puppy pads - just about anything they can get in the beak or pick at and loosen up they eat - grit helps them process those "foreign objects".

Without further investigation, sending her for necropsy or you doing an informal one yourself (I've never performed one on a chick), it's just really a guess as to the cause of death.

fwiw - Coccidiosis overload does not always show as blood in the stool. There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect chickens. Of those 9 only 2 have a symptom of bloody stools, the rest can be mucousy or even bubbly - sometimes poop is not always the best indicator - behavior along with other symptoms have to be considered, but to positively know, a fecal float is the way to go.

Again, I'm sorry about your loss, you did everything you could for her.

Thanks so much.

My birds are all on a product from a vet that makes it unlikely it was coccidiossis. I keep chick grit available for my babies, as well as a sandy surface in one of the brooders.

I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom