Tic treatment with chicks

SomeChookLover

Chirping
Sep 24, 2023
Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum so do tell me if you think this belongs somewhere else. Anyway, my chicken Kucheli has just hatched her first chick earlier today (with potentially 4 more on the way.) The issue is I’ve recently found out she, and the rest of my flock have tics. They’re not infested by any means but obviously tics aren’t great, especially when considering the new chicks. I in the past have used Incas pestene insect powder for tics, but since it isn’t recommended for chicks I’m at a bit of a loss for what to do. Kucheli has probably the most tics given she hasn’t been able to dust bathe, and the chicks will be right up against her skin where the tics are. I think at the moment my plan is just to hand-remove as many tics as possible of kuchi and the chicks if I spot any. Appreciate any advice from you all. Thanks.

I never heard of chickens having tick problems. Are you sure it isn't mites? I know several folks (and some research) that use chickens to keep the tick populations in check because they love to eat them.

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum so do tell me if you think this belongs somewhere else. Anyway, my chicken Kucheli has just hatched her first chick earlier today (with potentially 4 more on the way.) The issue is I’ve recently found out she, and the rest of my flock have tics. They’re not infested by any means but obviously tics aren’t great, especially when considering the new chicks. I in the past have used Incas pestene insect powder for tics, but since it isn’t recommended for chicks I’m at a bit of a loss for what to do. Kucheli has probably the most tics given she hasn’t been able to dust bathe, and the chicks will be right up against her skin where the tics are. I think at the moment my plan is just to hand-remove as many tics as possible of kuchi and the chicks if I spot any. Appreciate any advice from you all. Thanks.
Oh wow, I never knew that chickens could get ticks, I have a lot of ticks where I live so I better keep a look-out! Where do the ticks tend to latch onto the chickens?

I never heard of chickens having tick problems. Are you sure it isn't mites? I know several folks (and some research) that use chickens to keep the tick populations in check because they love to eat them.
There are definitely tick species for everything, chickens too, just google poultry tick (or soft ticks). They are somewhat different from your regular tick species, they can somewhat resemble mites though so you're not wrong there.

you might try putting garlic granules or powder in the chicken's food. It will keep the ticks off the chickens. In addition, you could sprinkle the granules about the coop to entice the ticks to leave. The garlic won't hurt the chicks.

I don't know I've seen a tick on a chick.... lol. But I do know they will get mites etc. diatomaceous earth in the run/coop with take care of them. Also good for Bowl weevel protection if you grow your own cotton!

Oh wow, I never knew that chickens could get ticks, I have a lot of ticks where I live so I better keep a look-out! Where do the ticks tend to latch onto the chickens?
For my chooks most of the ticks will be either on the underside of the wing, around the thigh or the crop. I have a feeling the ticks on my chooks are different to what’s in your area so I think you’re safe.

you might try putting garlic granules or powder in the chicken's food. It will keep the ticks off the chickens. In addition, you could sprinkle the granules about the coop to entice the ticks to leave. The garlic won't hurt the chicks.
Thanks so much! I’ll definitely be doing that.

I don't know I've seen a tick on a chick.... lol. But I do know they will get mites etc. diatomaceous earth in the run/coop with take care of them. Also good for Bowl weevel protection if you grow your own cotton!
Thanks! I always hear about diatomaceous earth but looks like I finally gotta bite the bullet and get some! I do think the ticks prefer featherless areas so I think it’s possible they might avoid the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom