Ticking Peachick

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
This is the same peachick I wrote about earlier about stuck feathers. It hatched with 2 others on the 14th but is growing slower than them. It is eating, drinking, active but now it sounds like it is ticking. Thoughts or suggestions please.

This is the same peachick I wrote about earlier about stuck feathers. It hatched with 2 others on the 14th but is growing slower than them. It is eating, drinking, active but now it sounds like it is ticking. Thoughts or suggestions please.
The crackling sound is something to do with the crop. I've had it before in pheasants and chicks.
It helps to massage the crop area a couple times a day in a gentle circular motion.
I'd try some giving it some chick grit and some probiotics in addition to the massage. I use Rooster Booster.

Probiotics and vitamins aren't going to help a crop issue. If you have a good chick starter there's no reason to use them at all.
In my experience, the chicks do not eat as well with the clicking crop. With the vitamin/probiotic water they are getting nutrients because they are still drinking water. It keeps them alive until the problem resolves.
That was all.

In my experience, the chicks do not eat as well with the clicking crop. With the vitamin/probiotic water they are getting nutrients because they are still drinking water. It keeps them alive until the problem resolves.
That was all.
All of our chicks get vitamins and electrolytes until they go to the ground at around eight to ten weeks. No starter after eight weeks, they get 28% pheasant or game bird after that.

That was all.
Vitamins and pro biotics do not provide macro nutrients or calories. They're just trace elements..

This chick was in incubator and it is almost like it heard the others that had hatched and decided to make a break for it. It has gone through the gambit of "how to help" from starting sitting in a cup in its shell under everything had absorbed and dried, on to treatment for legs and toes, and crackling crop, and throat massages.. I have given niacin and its water source is electrolytes. It is a trooper and just looks a few days younger than its hatch mates. Usually all the peachicks are for sale, but this guy has won a place in my heart and will be staying.

Vitamins and pro biotics do not provide macro nutrients or calories. They're just trace elements..
Trace elements can be just as important as high calorie macro nutrients. Also, probiotics are not trace elements.

@DukesDucks I agree with the advice of @KsKingBee and @BirdsBeesTrees above. Some raw egg yolk would be beneficial as well. I hope the little one keeps doing well for you.

First please no morality lectures. I am trying to decide what is best for this peachick. In addition to its other issues, I am now washing it for pasty bum, and still a scab on umbilical code. I'm adding a picture just after today's wash. It is not thriving despite my best efforts. Still looks the size of a newly hatched, easily half the size of its hatch mates. Is it time to euthanize?
20220722_110611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom