Tidy Cats Pure Naturals

ORChickFam

Chirping
Feb 16, 2015
Oregon Coast
I ran into an acquaintance and we were discussing my kids brooder that we're setting up this weekend. She mentioned that she uses Tidy Cats Pure Naturals with her chicks. Conversation ended, off I went, came home and here I am now pondering if this stuff is really a good alternative to Sweet PDZ. Thoughts?

For reference it's this stuff...

I have 2 concerns: It has cedar. The oils in cedar may be too strong for the chick's delicate respiratory systems. Also, the clumping properties: makes me wonder what the stuff would do when it lands in the chick's crops if they eat some of it. While your friend is using it, and hasn't had any visible problems yet, my red flags are up, and I'd not put it any where near my chickens.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I was thinking it was a no-no but since I'm brand new to this, figured I would ask. We use Dry Den w/ our rabbits and I plan to use it with our chicks as well. But you know how it goes, when you're still learning and hear things you get curious. Thanks again!

I'll be using play sand with a sprinkle of sweet PDZ for the brooder. I like sand because it's scoopable like cat litter but doesn't clump.

Back
Top Bottom