Tie it off or leave it?!?! Help!!

GreenGoddess

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 6, 2009
St Pauls, NC
Today is day 23.. My hatch had gone perfectly until day 21 when someone apparently turned the thermostat up and the temp went to somewhere between 104 and 106.. I have a dial type thermometer from PetSmart so it was hard to see exactly.. I took the incubator into the bathroom and steamed it up really well then took the already hatched chicks out.. The humidity was higher in the bathroom than it was in the incubator so there were no problems.. I still had chicks hatching out afterwards but they were hatching out too quick and I had 4 that didn't absorb a good portion of their yolk... I had to cull one and the other didn't make it til morning.. I have one more that got stuck and couldn't absorb about a 1/2 inch portion of the yolk... It was completely glued to the shell this morning and the yolk had not been absorbed anymore so I took the chick into the bathroom and carefully removed it from the partial shell (it had pretty much hatched but was stuck in about 1/2 the shell so couldn't get up and walk around)... I wrapped it in a wet towel and put it back in the incubator.. It's been about 24 hours since it was zipping and got stuck so now I am at a point where I don't know if it's navel is too closed to absorb the rest... I don't want to lose this one too.. The chick seems very eager to get up and move around so it's definitely strong enough to survive.. Would it be better to leave it in the towel to hopefully absorb the rest, is it too late? Or should I put a small piece of floss around it and tie it off until it dries up and falls off? I can see veins in it so just clipping it is not an option...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I would definately NOT tie it off.. It is not just an apendage that can be removed.. the chick has to absorb the whole yolk.. all of ts developing nutrients are in there..

I noticed that you posted early this morning.. and I assume you have already did the deed.. did it die ?

Last edited:
I did do it but only as a last resort.. The chick started doing really poorly, acting lethargic and not moving much at all... I used a piece of floss and tied it low enough not to get anything but the yolk (no intestines).. I put it in a big butter tub, half under the light in the brooder and half out and left it alone.. After about 6 hours or so, it started perking up... The yolk is drying up and it's becoming more mobile, although the little "blob" gets in the way and it can't balance very well...

On a side note, I did find out it WAS my 12 yr old that turned the temp up (although he says he turned it back down)
he.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
.. I would hate to have seen it if he didn't turn it back down!!! He also admitted to opening the incubator.. He says it was already open and he closed it.. He don't lie very well... When I check the incubator and the humidity is close to 70 and then I check it again an hour later and it's still close to 70 but I have chicks getting stuck, I KNOW someone messed with it!!!

I will make sure I give the chick water and food before I go to bed because I know it didn't get all the nutrients it should have...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
In actuality, you're not... However.. I didn't know that it was actually stuck in the shell and that's why it was not hatching.. It was human error (my son) and I didn't figure it out until this morning when i got up that the yolk sack was drying up and glued to the membrane.. None of the others were hatching so I went ahead and took it out and put it's bottom in warm water to loosen it..

I had a choice.. Either cull it or tie it off because it was not going to be absorbed.. It's navel had already almost completely closed up and the yolk was drying out... Don't get me wrong... As much as I hate to do it, I will cull a chick when I need to.. I had to do it yesterday because of a similar situation but the yolk actually ripped off.. I don't like to do it but I know sometimes it's necessary..

Here is the little one enjoying it's first meal of crumbles mixed with water...

33603_2011-03-01_220043.jpg

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom