1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Time between eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoppiesChicks, May 15, 2011.

1. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have four hens newly laying. 2 weeks ago I got an egg every 3-4 days. Last week I think one hen laid a soft shelled agg and a hard shelled egg but I haven't had anything all week from anyone. Can newly laying hens just stop? I just let them outside into a new run. Can that cause them to stop? Or maybe a change in the weather? Last week we had temp close to 100 but this week it's a high of 60. Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, new layers can stop. It takes some time for their bodies to adjust to the laying process. Have you looked in the run though, to make sure they aren't hiding them?

I doubt the weather has anything to do with it, we were 80 degrees 2 days ago and this morning we had snow. I still got the same amount of eggs as 2 days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by