TIme from introduction to fertility?

newarkrooster

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
I have three female pekins and have had for about a year, One has gone broody. I have a friend with a drake, if I bring him over with them how long should I wait before allowing her to sit on the eggs?

If she is broody now... It may be a few weeks before she would have a nest full of fertile eggs to sit on. The eggs may be fertile within a few days- But it might be worth considering buying some fertile eggs to put under her straight away- rather than hoping she will still be broody later.

Ducks dont have a set amount of time to stay broody... If you try and stop her from being broody now so that she will continue to lay eggs- there is no garuntee that when the drake is introduced and she has a clutch of fertile eggs to sit on that she will go broody again. Of course you may get lucky and have a pekin that is very maternal who will go broody again so quickly.

I found a friend that has a male and female so I am going to trade out soem eggs with her.

Fantastic news...Hope it all works out for you...and at least this way you will have babies sooner
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom