time to cull, but I need some support.

opalwednesday

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Ridgecrest
my girls have had a cough for over two months now.

I have wormed, twice
given antibiotics, twice
and been treating with oxine for the last week, every other day.

Everyone's back to normal but one, who's starting to act sad and eat less. She's gucky around the nose now, her eyes look weak and her cough is heartbreaking.

I don't think that it's fair to her to try anymore, she's been the worst one all along.

I have two able people to do it for me, but what's the best way to have it done? and am I right for putting her down before she stops eating and moving around, even though i'm pretty sure that that's next?

thanks guys

I'm sorry to hear that you have to do that. I think less suffering is better though. I have a very difficult time watching things suffer.....
hit.gif

thanks alot, it certainly is horrible.
do you have any opinions on the best way. I'm searching byc but there are SO many opinions, it's alot to dig through.

So sorry to hear you have to make this difficult decision. Sounds like you've tried everything though and take comfort in that you tried a lot harder than many would and now you can make the decision to end her suffering and bring her and you some peace. I don't know anything about the right way to put her down. Can you ask your chicken vet? If you want me to ask mine, let me know.

You are looking at her and have to make that decision yourself. I can't tell you what to do.

As far as how to do it, the keys to me are swift and sure. There is no one right or wrong way to do it. We all have different abilities. You don't want your hand to slip or to close your eyes at the critical moment, so it has to be a way you can do the deed.

There are many different methods, killing cones and ways to use a knife, branch loppers, or different ways to break the neck. I used to use an ax but now use a hatchet. I put two large nails in a section of tree trunk where I can stretch the neck out and get a real good target. For me, that is the easiest and surest. I'd have trouble using a killing cone, but for many people, it would be the opposite.

Do a search from the blue bar up above. There are a multitude of ways, and everyone is adamant that their way is the 'best' way. Sqeamish people try to use a method that 'removes' them one step from the dirty deed. (They don't want to actually see it happen, so use various chemicals/freezing). Others are more concerned about what is quickest and least painful for the animal.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I have never had to do this. I don't know what I would do. There are many here who can guide you if you need to do it yourself. Quick and sure like Ridgerunner said .......is more fair to her.

You could always take her to the vet and have him euthanize her. My vet said an axe or a bullet to the head is as quick and painless as it gets. Although I can't do it. If it HAD to be done I could probably get my husband to do it with a .25 calibur pistol. At least if they got shot directly in the head all brain activity would immediantly stop and you know there'd be no suffering.
I read an article about beheading of humans (many years ago when they did it). This man who was to be beheaded was told to keep blinking his eyes for as long as he was still aware and alert after his head had been chopped off. He blinked his eyes *10* times after they cut off his head. So as hard as it would be to shoot them in the head, at least it would be instantaneous.

Back
Top Bottom