Tiny chick not growing

blueleaf63

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2018
I have 2 ayem cemani hatched 3-21-21 (along with 2 wyandotte). One is growing well, the other is pretty much the same size as when I got them. I've been weighing the tiny chick and she is gaining some weight, but weighs about 70g. Her belly (above the vent) is swollen and I can feel a hard lump (maybe pea sized?). My other chicks stomachs feel soft, not swollen with no hard lumps. I'm new to chickens but this makes me think it may be some type of tumor. Is there anything else it could be that could be treatable? I've thought of trying to find a chicken vet but don't want to waste the time/$$ if there's nothing that can be done. She is eating and poops (tiny little poops). I've been giving her egg yolk also. I worried she may be eating the substrate so I have her on just a plastic brooder floor.

I have 2 ayem cemani hatched 3-21-21 (along with 2 wyandotte). One is growing well, the other is pretty much the same size as when I got them. I've been weighing the tiny chick and she is gaining some weight, but weighs about 70g. Her belly (above the vent) is swollen and I can feel a hard lump (maybe pea sized?). My other chicks stomachs feel soft, not swollen with no hard lumps. I'm new to chickens but this makes me think it may be some type of tumor. Is there anything else it could be that could be treatable? I've thought of trying to find a chicken vet but don't want to waste the time/$$ if there's nothing that can be done. She is eating and poops (tiny little poops). I've been giving her egg yolk also. I worried she may be eating the substrate so I have her on just a plastic brooder floor.
How's your chick doing?

Can you post pics? The bump you describe sounds like it could be her umbilicus.

I took her to the vet today. Vet said they didn't feel any lumps, but abdomen is swollen. Parasite was negative. They said to isolate and increase brooder temp back to 90, and gave me a supplement to handfeed three times a day. Also said to chlorinate the water and offer greek yogurt.
20210420_134750.jpg

Back
Top Bottom