Tiny egg -- how soon can pullets lay eggs???

noelalala

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We found a 1 inch long egg in a nesting box!!!

We have several laying hens, just over a year old, and 3 pullets that are only 11 weeks old.
We also have a hen who's small b/c she's a cross beak Americauna -- she can't eat as well as the other hens, and she gets picked on.
I'm not actually sure she lays eggs, so maybe this one could be hers???

I can't help but suspect one of the 11 week old pullets, but that just seems so young!!!

Who is the more likely layer of this cute little egg -- an 11 week old pullet? or our small, possibly undernourished hen?

Thanks,
: )
Noel

It was the older girl . I've gotten a few of those from my hens.
63768_fart_egg_001.jpg

We sometimes get tiny little eggs mixed in with the others. They seem random and some are even strangely shaped - had a 1 inch high snowman egg once. The kids always called them fairy eggs, said the fairies laid them hoping the hens would hatch them out. We save them in a little basket where they dry out and keep forever.

Thanks so much to both of you!
That makes sense --
the timing was just right to make us really scratch our heads and wonder about those young girls.
I feel better now knowing they're not growing up too fast!
: )
Noel

me too! about three weeks ago i found a (very) small egg and then another a week later and then two, one brown like the others, and one green in the same day! my hens are 18 month's old and have been laying fine, but production is down since winter, and these little eggs are curious.........

Back
Top Bottom