Tiny had blood coming out of her vent?

Kittkatt0

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2021
hello! Tiny, a chicken that survived a raccoon attack months ago has been stuck with an illness. She seems to be one of my unluckiest chickens. Well back to the subject at hand right now. yesterday she was lethargic, not talking like she usually is, eating when presented with food, and staying still and hiding from the others. yesterday I also saw a yellow, liquid-like substance stuck to her feathers near her vent. She now still is lethargic maybe a bit more talkative but now she has a bloody, almost watery-like (as if the blood was diluted with water) substance coming out of her vent. Her vent does not look like it was pecked at. Does anyone know what this might be?

Location please. Where are you on the planet? Has your weather been hot and wet?

How old is this hen? Has she been laying regularly? Any problems with egg quality? Soft, shell-less, thin shells?

If this hen has been laying recently, it may be a ruptured egg. Give her a calcium tablet, preferably calcium citrate, one whole tablet directly into her beak. She won't choke. It will slide right down into her crop. This will help with contractions to push the egg remains out, if this is her problem.

Coccidiosis shouldn't be in the picture. Too dry and cool.

You say she's a couple months old. Then you say she's almost a year. Which is it? Tell me how old she is in weeks if you can.

Pick her up and place her in your lap facing you. Reach around and locate her vent. See if two of your fingers can fit between the two knobs on each side of her vent. If only one finger fits, she isn't laying, nor is she close.

You say she was "wet one cold morning". Please elaborate on that. Exactly how long ago was this? What did you do for her when you discovered her like this? Was she wet all over her body, or just one part. Which part?

Coccidiosis shouldn't be in the picture. Too dry and cool.

You say she's a couple months old. Then you say she's almost a year. Which is it? Tell me how old she is in weeks if you can.

Pick her up and place her in your lap facing you. Reach around and locate her vent. See if two of your fingers can fit between the two knobs on each side of her vent. If only one finger fits, she isn't laying, nor is she close.

You say she was "wet one cold morning". Please elaborate on that. Exactly how long ago was this? What did you do for her when you discovered her like this? Was she wet all over her body, or just one part. Which part?
around 7 mouths ill try and find some gloves and try that sometime soon it's getting pretty late here. Her underbelly was wet and assumed it was the leaking pipe next to our stairway into the house (she usually likes to hang around there so she can eat in peace as she on the lower chickens in the pecking order) I told my parents (I'm only 16 and don't have a job) and it was on Monday this week. Although my memory is choppy so it might have been yesterday(Tuesday) I as well found an egg that might have belonged to her, after a couple of hard taps with my finger it broke, I tried this with a couple other of our hen's eggs, and did not yield the same result. When the shell broke it was as thin as 4-5 pieces of notebook paper.

Monday was just yesterday. If she got wet and you didn't do anything to dry and warm her, she could be suffering from hypothermia. That could be the reason for her lethargy.

It isn't late, only 7pm at this moment, certainly not too late if you are interested in saving the life of your chicken. This could be a medical emergency if she is hypothermic. This is how to treat a chicken with hypothermia so she will survive and recover from it:

1. Give her warm sugar water to drink with some electrolytes mixed in or you can give her warmed up Gatoraid.

2. Warm several old bath towels in the dryer and make a nice deep cozy nest for her. If you have a pet crate for a dog, use it for this. Fill the feeding dish that attaches to the door with the warm Gatoraid and some scrambled egg.

3. Check on her frequently. Keep filling the dish with warm Gatoraid. It's important to get warm fluids into her and to get her hydrated. Do this up until bedtime. Then check on her again first thing in the morning.

4. Don't forget to give her a calcium tablet in case she is in a reproductive crisis, as well.

Monday was just yesterday. If she got wet and you didn't do anything to dry and warm her, she could be suffering from hypothermia. That could be the reason for her lethargy.

It isn't late, only 7pm at this moment, certainly not too late if you are interested in saving the life of your chicken. This could be a medical emergency if she is hypothermic. This is how to treat a chicken with hypothermia so she will survive and recover from it:

1. Give her warm sugar water to drink with some electrolytes mixed in or you can give her warmed up Gatoraid.

2. Warm several old bath towels in the dryer and make a nice deep cozy nest for her. If you have a pet crate for a dog, use it for this. Fill the feeding dish that attaches to the door with the warm Gatoraid and some scrambled egg.

3. Check on her frequently. Keep filling the dish with warm Gatoraid. It's important to get warm fluids into her and to get her hydrated. Do this up until bedtime. Then check on her again first thing in the morning.

4. Don't forget to give her a calcium tablet in case she is in a reproductive crisis, as well.
She is currently inside in a laundry basket with plenty of food and water. I told my mom about the chance of that yesterday too but she wanted her outside even when I told her she was acting strangely. Sorry for the day thing everything is coming so fast and I'm confining myself finals are closer than they seem. As well as juggling school projects and the fact I'm behind in math does not help. I'm pretty sure we don't have any calcium tablets around but ill ask my parents about it soon. I plan to crush some eggshells and put it in some scrambled egg to maybe help her as much as I can. I'm not sure about her being hyperthermic as her feathers have dried but ill take as many measures as to make sure she is alright.

Back
Top Bottom