Tip For Managing Old Hens

Chcknjnky

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Sacramento CA
I'm looking for any advice on making life easier for aging hens. I have a couple that are getting up there in age and it seems they're struggling a bit. I plan on decreasing the angle of the ramp into the coop after today's incident. Our old barred rock took a bit of a tumble down the last couple of feet of the ramp. She moves really slowly normally but eats and drinks really good so I'm hoping it's just old age. Anyone delt with aging hens before and have any advice to make their lives easier?

I spoke to Purina's primary poultry nutritionist. I asked about it when he said the proliferation of backyard flocks had the company considering a ration for aged chickens. I asked how it would differ and he said older birds don't uptake nutrients as well as younger birds so they were considering boosting vitamin and mineral content.
A supplement like Nutri-Drench (poultry formula) may be your easiest and best bet.

Keep an eye on them and make sure they're getting their share of the food. If it looks like there's too much competition, then putting out an extra feeder and waterer might help. I've never had the fortune to own an old hen, but I know chickens have hierarchies and old horses can run into that same issue with herd status where they get pushed off of the food by other members of the herd. Supplementing a probiotic of some sort can also help increase the uptake of nutrients from food.

I have several old hens, ranging from 5 to 10 years old. Two of them are light (blue andalusians) and have no problem flying to their favorite roosting spot. Three of them are in the heavy side so we have a ramp now to help them up and down their roosting box. I am also giving them fermented feed (free choice) still access to regular feed. They seem to like it because they finish their dish every day. Nutrients are more bioavailable this way.

Back
Top Bottom