Tip of beak barely hanging on

Feb 16, 2019
One of my quail hurt her beak. Should i just cut it off or try putting a piece of teabag on it and glueing it?
20200518_193351.jpg
20200518_193344.jpg
20200518_193337.jpg

Is there a little lump of flesh under where the break is? Almost like when a nail comes off the nailbed?
Or is it a clean break off and just a little bit of hard beak is keeping it attached?

If it's clean break I'd snip it off and perhaps file any sharp edges with a finger nail file.

If there is flesh under the break you could try gluing it, however chickens have tips break off all the time, with some flesh under the break exposed, and they are ok. It hurts but it will heal over and be ok. It happened to a hen of mine who liked to peck at frozen puddles.

It might bleed a little. Check the kwik stop bottle for possible ingestion since it's her beak, especially if you have the kind with pain relief in it. Plain cornstarch can also be used as a styptic and that won't hurt her if she swallows it.

Its been a while, but i decided to give her till the morning to see if it would come off on its own. It did, and for a while her top beak was a bit short. I let her stay in my room a couple of days, and she was fine. She and my whole flock seem to have chilled a bit and no longer fly into walls.

Back
Top Bottom