Tip of the Day

You could list all the contests that are happening, because I always miss them. Lol. And I would like to participate at times...

You could add random facts about chickens... For example:

To produce one egg, a chicken must consume 5 ounces of feed, 10 ounces of water, and 24-26 hours... 30 seconds after the egg is laid, the cycle repeats...

I learned that from the History channel... Lol.

I think a tip that points to the FAQ is one that would be helpful.

Also one about using the search tool, but making it clear that it is ok to post a question even if it has been posted a million times before.

Tips like what CCourson05 mentioned...fun facts that make BYC not only educational, but fun.

Wow, there is a lot of potential for this idea! It's hard to know where to start. I see a ton of posts with people asking about humidity. Maybe put some tips based on different regions of the country(or world), etc. dry climate, humid climate?

Quote:
This would require research.. Lol. Or... multiple people providing information on successful hatches... Good idea, as humidity is pretty important..

Quote:
I think you should let the moderators -- and ME!
big_smile.png
-- have first crack at the "tip of the day" just to post some tips that cause the most "congestion" (read: to avoid annoyance).

Moderators first, because they volunteer their time cleaning up messes that we all seem to contribute to. (Mods, don't read that as sucking up.
tongue.png
Just a little respect. )

You could have BOTH a banner AND this thread. A banner could repeat the same ol' same ol's. This thread could address things that are current "hot" tip necessary. Does that make sense?

In some respects, this could work kinda like training wheels until an idea or concept takes hold. Id est meaningful titles, or "search the topic first before posting a new thread on the same subject", etc.

Quote:
I believe in the KISS theory (Keep it Simple Sweetheart).

However, if one were to expand on this idea, then it would need to be subcategorized: Moderator and/or navigating/postingtip of the day , regional or seasonal tip of the day, hatching tip of the day, etc. Could be a (sub) forum or a sticky within each forum. ETA: A sticky within each forum as the tips apply to that forum. i.e. hatching type tips of the day would be in the hatching, etc. forum.

For now, my suggestion would be to allow the moderators to take over this thread for the next week or two and then when they want to share, they can invite us to join. Just a thought.

This is what I think would make the best overall impact on the forum, thus what I would like to see implemented more than any other, or at least implemented first: Moderator and/or navigating/postingtip of the day.

Last edited:
Another little tid bit that I type to answer questions often is...

Hatching egg storage and viability (7-14 days)

Breeding tips (Rooster fertilizes eggs for 14-21 days)

Stuff like that is what I type often...
hu.gif
Just my addition to the planning stage...

Length of time from day one setting of eggs to lock down to hatching for various fowl
Duck
Chicken
Quail
Peafowl
Turkey
Ect

It would help those new to hatching to know the basic time lines.

So many great "tips" are in the Stickies. Problem is, I never remember which Forum a Stickie is tied to. I'd love to see all the Stickies copied into one collective Stickie Forum. (Don't move them - just copy them.)

My favorite tip that I always pass on: For walk-in coops, a Dutch Door is a must!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom