Tips for taking a Silkie to a fair?

Sanna

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Connecticut
Hi everyone,
I got my first Silkies last year, started off with 3 hens and a rooster. Now I have 10, 6 of them being this years chicks!
big_smile.png

I would like to take one or two of my Silkies to a fair next year, maybe even this year before the summer ends if I can find a fair to go to.

What do I need to know about taking a Silkie to show at a Fair? What are the chicken shows all about?
I have no idea what to do or where to start.

Would a rooster like this be worth taking anywhere out to the public? He probably needs a good clean up first...?
big_smile.png

198028_1823841148779_1022749684_2157074_2634390_n.jpg

you need to make sure you have a showable bird, ie, right number of toes, correct coloring, comb type etc. no sense in showing a bird that has no chance of winning.
then give them a good bath the day prior to the show, clip toenails, trim beaks if needed and check that all feathers are as good as they can be. you may also need to have your bird(s) tested for diseases before entering the show depending on the show and state you are in. solid colors are easiest when starting out. other than that, I never expect to win but I always hope to. treat it as a learning experience, ask lots of questions and listen when your bird is judged so you know where to improve and what is perfect but also when the others in your class are judged so you can learn. most importantly, have fun.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect to win anything the first time around.
big_smile.png
I would be doing this for fun and for an experience, definitely something I never thought I'd do. BUT! I do not want to take my chickens out somewhere if they are not worth showing and make a fool out of myself OR insult others that do this more often. I have shown horses and it is frustrating seeing horses showing that simply do not belong in the show ring. Especially, when you have put your "blood and sweat" into getting your horse ready. Some owners/riders just do not know any better... I don't want to be that person at a chicken show!
hmm.png

There must be a breed standard type of description on Silkies somere on the internet where I could learn more about what a showable bird is and looks like? Toes, correct colors, comb types etc? I know absolutely nothing when it comes to showing these animals.

For now, I guess I'll be waiting to see if my little black chick turns out as a hen. I can't tell what's what just yet.
lol.png
She would be the one to go being the only solid colored chicken with all 5 toes on both feet. The two fullgrown hens are missing a toe or two here. They were housed in a pen with two ducks and were picked on quite a bit before I brought them home.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom