Tips on getting free range chickens into a new coop at night?

The duck father_

Songster
Jan 11, 2022
My chickens were originally supposed to sleep in a modified trailer with ducks in which they for a few days but than started sleeping in the trees for a few months. Since the trailer is now too crowded I made a new coop which they have much more interest in but is there a way to brake their tree habit and get them to lay in there?

My chickens were originally supposed to sleep in a modified trailer with ducks in which they for a few days but than started perching in the trees for a few months. I made a new coop which they have much more interest in but is there a way to brake their tree habit and get them to lay in there?
Usually they get used to it over time. Maybe you Can try luring them in?

And welcome to BYC! :welcome

I got you. **maybe** (this works for me - maybe not for you)

Change your feeding methods.

I feed my birds once a day, at dusk. So when I go out with the bucket of feed, I get mobbed. But it means the birds come from the 5+ acres of mine they use (including plenty of trees - several acres worth) to get a "free meal". My birds can free range 24/7, I almost never close the gates on the run, so this is my only opportunity to observe individuals for behavior changes, injury, or even a head count.

Because its dusk, they don't range far after eating - making it easy to pick up a full bird and place them in the desired roosting location. If you can gate/fence/door them in, so much the better. As @aart says, takes about a week to create the new "habit".

Chickens will return to there home roost. If you want to change where there home roost is you need to make sure they are in the new home at roosting time for a few days. The new place needs to be where the chickens feel safe. The easiest way to rehome them may be to lock them in for about a week. You can also do this by luring them in (or carry them in) each night just before roosting.

Back
Top Bottom