Tips on how to kill boredom and loneliness for a blind quail.

TobyTheQuail

Chirping
Dec 30, 2020
What can I offer my quail who's blind to bring back some happiness and joy to his life? I've already tried the following: music/ambience sounds, I let him out to walk around the room 2x a day, let him play in his soft paper bedding as well as in his sand cubical 2x a day. It's winter time here now so no sun available. I place silk blankets on my bed and let him do his thang where he stretches out and fluffs up his feathers. Last but not least, he gets about 20 kisses a day and a whole lotta sweet talkin' from his mama (me) ❤ Ok, so my question is what could I do besides what I'm already doing that'll make him a happier quail?

Attachments

• 20200704_024714~2.jpg
    20200704_024714~2.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 39
What can I offer my quail who's blind to bring back some happiness and joy to his life? I've already tried the following: music/ambience sounds, I let him out to walk around the room 2x a day, let him play in his soft paper bedding as well as in his sand cubical 2x a day. It's winter time here now so no sun available. I place silk blankets on my bed and let him do his thang where he stretches out and fluffs up his feathers. Last but not least, he gets about 20 kisses a day and a whole lotta sweet talkin' from his mama (me) ❤ Ok, so my question is what could I do besides what I'm already doing that'll make him a happier quail?
what you're doing sounds amazing, but is it possible for you to trim down/file his beak a bit?

what you're doing sounds amazing, but is it possible for you to trim down/file his beak a bit?
It's good u mentioned that. I always wondered what would be the best method to do that. I filed it down on a couple of occasions but it grows so fast. I don't do it more often because I just don't want to put him under too much stress. He is 5 years old and a bit frail.

It's good u mentioned that. I always wondered what would be the best method to do that. I filed it down on a couple of occasions but it grows so fast. I don't do it more often because I just don't want to put him under too much stress. He is 5 years old and a bit frail.
maybe you can give him a stone block or something similar to scrape/wipe his beak along so that it would file itself. I've seen some people do it with their birds nails, but I'm not sure that it would work with his beak.

A rough brick or piece of slate near the food and water supply will likely be used to wipe his beak on which will file it down over time. However I think it’s a little too far gone to be corrected with only filing, so he needs you to trim or file the beak first and then he can benefit from the brick.
Treats are generally a quail’s favorite things. See if live insects or seeds, in a plastic dish where they will rattle and make noise, will entice him to peck or chase.

Hmm, what is he capable of doing? If you setup a water bottle full of treats with holes in it, would he figure out how to use it, maybe associating the sound with the treats falling out?
How about a flock block! I bet he would have a great time with that!
A flock block?? What's that?

Back
Top Bottom