Thank you, do the oyster shells really help?
yes it worked out well for me. the polish on my profile laid really thin shelled eggs but after feeding more calcium, oyster shell and egg shells, its now thick. i suggest trying it out so you can hatch out some new chicks ;).

Also here is the chick, is this 100% a cockerel?
View attachment 2858077
View attachment 2858078
He is 100% cockerel! Here's a picture of my dark brahma pullet for comparison, she's 11 weeks old. They can be sexed by feather pattern. I have 2 males as well but their combs still aren't as pink at all, I don't even see a difference between the boys and girl comb size or color yet, only the different feather pattern.
20211013_122411_HDR.jpg

He is 100% cockerel! Here's a picture of my dark brahma pullet for comparison, she's 11 weeks old. They can be sexed by feather pattern. I have 2 males as well but their combs still aren't as pink at all, I don't even see a difference between the boys and girl comb size or color yet, only the different feather pattern.View attachment 2864797
great, would love to have a big brahma roo! he started tid-bitting which proves even more that hes a roo. :D

Thank you, do the oyster shells really help?
Absolutely! Calcium is needed to replace the calcium used up in the production of eggs. On occasion I’ll have a hen have a soft shell. Maybe one day she couldn’t get to the feeder filled with oyster shell.
After 2 days she continues having that soft shells I will help her get a quick boost by giving her a woman’s calcium supplement. I crush a supplement in a bowl, crack an egg into it, crushed shell and all, beat that together and pop it in the microwave. Then I just pop her in the broody breaker cage with her eggy treat. In less than 5 minutes it’s gone and I let her back out.

hey everyone so im raising 5 chicks and 3 of them turned out to be cocks, 2 campines started crowing and my one brahma started growing a comb somewhat early. They are now 6-8 weeks. well i am thinking of keeping the brahma as my roo as my two campines keep terrorizing the pullets, while the brahma will break up the fights, share his food, and let everyone sleep on him. i am going to get 2 brahma pullets for the roo so he won't go for the smaller hens too much. well not i am wondering how to raise a good roo that won't terrorize the hens.

my old roo terrorised the hens so bad they won't go 6 feet near him and is now terrified of everything that moves. He also turned really mean to people (he was raised as a solo chick and was very attached to humans). he will try to peck humans and do the mating dance for them and will also turn agressive to people. im guessing this is because he is trying to mate with people and trying to put us below him in the pecking order... my roo wouldn't even fertilize the eggs just constantly plucking feathers even when the hen submits. when a hen gets near his food he will chase her away just like a head hen.

Well i wanna raise a gentleman roo now. the chicks i am raising are sweethearts that will perch up on my hand and ask for pets, the brahma roo will not complain too much if i pick him up too, and he likes pets on the chest but im not petting him on the back as im worried he might not like it. How do i keep this rooster in line while he still does his job with the hens?
Hi!
The best way to raise a nice roo is to really spend a lot of time with them, feed them treats, etc.
When we first received our rooster chick, it was at the beginning of summer, and since it was the most freeing season, I literally spent every waking moment with him. If you want a rooster who isn't mean, then getting really comfortable around him is the best way.
I know some people think the best way to do this is to make it look like you don't really care about the roo and try to ignore him, but I think that's the wrong way to go. If you aren't comfortable with him, then there's more of a chance for him to be mean when he becomes older. Please don't ever harm him!
Our rooster turned out to be the nicest in our flock. He follows us around for treats, perks up when we see him, and loves to show off. He's also quite the ladies man 😏

Back
Top Bottom