my first flock had a cockerel and 3 pullets, all hatched and raised together. He was. So mean I had to put him in a bachelor pad so he couldn’t attack me. My flock has been added to over the years and the mean rooster passed away. When my oldest 3 hens were 3.5yo I added 2 cockerels 5 months old to my 13 hens. Those ladies schooled those young upstarts and whippersnappers!! They learned manners and how to dance for the ladies. The mean rooster had never danced!!! This was a new entertainment! I am now believing that young cockerels should be initially introduced to the oldest hens you can offer! Young pullets are just too vulnerable. I have a feeling the ladies warned them to behave with the big creatures that bring good, water, and snacks. My roosters are so good with me and my family! They are wonderful with the ladies and never attack me or hubby, not even if we have to grab a squawking hen for a treatment. Let the ladies teach them while they are young.

Absolutely! Calcium is needed to replace the calcium used up in the production of eggs. On occasion I’ll have a hen have a soft shell. Maybe one day she couldn’t get to the feeder filled with oyster shell.
After 2 days she continues having that soft shells I will help her get a quick boost by giving her a woman’s calcium supplement. I crush a supplement in a bowl, crack an egg into it, crushed shell and all, beat that together and pop it in the microwave. Then I just pop her in the broody breaker cage with her eggy treat. In less than 5 minutes it’s gone and I let her back out.
Wow, that is the most awesome thing I’ve ever heard I will have to try that, thank you very much! 😘

my first flock had a cockerel and 3 pullets, all hatched and raised together. He was. So mean I had to put him in a bachelor pad so he couldn’t attack me. My flock has been added to over the years and the mean rooster passed away. When my oldest 3 hens were 3.5yo I added 2 cockerels 5 months old to my 13 hens. Those ladies schooled those young upstarts and whippersnappers!! They learned manners and how to dance for the ladies. The mean rooster had never danced!!! This was a new entertainment! I am now believing that young cockerels should be initially introduced to the oldest hens you can offer! Young pullets are just too vulnerable. I have a feeling the ladies warned them to behave with the big creatures that bring good, water, and snacks. My roosters are so good with me and my family! They are wonderful with the ladies and never attack me or hubby, not even if we have to grab a squawking hen for a treatment. Let the ladies teach them while they are young.
You sound like quite the chicken expert!😅 The only mean rooster that we ever had in our flock was this stupid little D‘anver bantam that a cousin gave us because she couldn’t keep roosters in her area. He was the meanest thing you would ever meet he would attack my older relatives and even once punctured a leg, he eventually got put in a bachelor pad pen and then an owl picked him off or something, we’re quite glad he’s gone. 🙄

I prefer to hand rear them from day one, they were always kind to the ladies in my current one who is probably around four or five years old has been the best rooster we’ve ever had, he is an Easter egg x red sex link mix, his name is Ezzy, or just simply Ezra.

You sound like quite the chicken expert!😅 The only mean rooster that we ever had in our flock was this stupid little D‘anver bantam that a cousin gave us because she couldn’t keep roosters in her area. He was the meanest thing you would ever meet he would attack my older relatives and even once punctured a leg, he eventually got put in a bachelor pad pen and then an owl picked him off or something, we’re quite glad he’s gone. 🙄

I prefer to hand rear them from day one, they were always kind to the ladies in my current one who is probably around four or five years old has been the best rooster we’ve ever had, he is an Easter egg x red sex link mix, his name is Ezzy, or just simply Ezra.
Not an expert, just relaying my own observations. When I started raising chickens I was so naïve that I’m shocked my birds survived! I came to this site and absorbed all of the advice thrown at me and tried not to get miffed at criticisms. Good thing too because the most critical advice was also the best ever. Now I like passing on whatever small bit of knowledge I might have.
I did have 9 chicks hatched by my broody. 5 were cockerels. They never showed an ounce of meanness, one even had no problem letting me pet him. Too many roosters for my flock. I gave them to a lady that adores and raises roosters a couple miles from me.

Not an expert, just relaying my own observations. When I started raising chickens I was so naïve that I’m shocked my birds survived! I came to this site and absorbed all of the advice thrown at me and tried not to get miffed at criticisms. Good thing too because the most critical advice was also the best ever. Now I like passing on whatever small bit of knowledge I might have.
I did have 9 chicks hatched by my broody. 5 were cockerels. They never showed an ounce of meanness, one even had no problem letting me pet him. Too many roosters for my flock. I gave them to a lady that adores and raises roosters a couple miles from me.
Ah, completely understood my friend! 😀 Sounds like me, I adored roosters too. I have nine, most belong to my sister, I only have one left I actually raised.

Back
Top Bottom