Tips on Scaring Away a Racoon

the radio will keep them away for a while and then they get used to it and locking up will help XXXXXXXX1000000000 times a million
tongue.png

Most people lock their chickens in a VERY secure coop all night. Raccoons will hunt during the day, but a secure coop at night is the best deterrent. All night.

Ilovemyladies! :

And we have 3 big labradors and 3 little mutts but I do gotta say they are doing their jobs
smile.png

My 15 year old lab died on February 3rd. Within a week all my ducks were killed and by spring I had lost over 50 chickens. I never had a problem while she was alive. Now I have everything locked up tight.​

The only surefire way to keep away a raccoon is to off it. Without a live trap, you have to use the frontiersman trick. Get a board with a hole in it and hammer in two nails at an angle like this: \\ / beneath them place something shiny. Raccoons hoard shiny things. Place it by a water source or known raccoon source. Eventually you will find a raccoon sitting there, trapped, because of his lust for shiny and unwillingness to let it go even though there are nails impeding his hand. At this point shoot the no-good SOB before he eats more of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom