Tips On Selling Eggs By The Road

Is your sign parallel to the road? If so, people are RIGHT THERE before they see it. If it's perpendicular to the road, are the letters big enough to see? Drive by it yourself, purposely NOT looking for it, and see if it catches your eye. Drive at whatever speed people normally drive by; not slow enough to gawk. You want your sign to be the thing that makes them notice something is there.

A sign with a chicken might catch their eye. Bold colors, and contrast with the background. Right now, the ground is dead grass, beiges and browns. Soon it will be green. Your letters are red/orange, that contrasts with both.

Maybe add "Farm Fresh" so that there's more to see, and it also describes the product better.

People might not even be reading it as was mentioned, it's rather plain, they will just cursory look at it, see an 'object', hmm looks like a sign...probably another garage sale the way it's painted, oh LOOK! one of my fake friends on fakebook dinged me, time to update my status, at they set cruise control thinking it's autopilot :/ and go back to staring at their phone at 60 mph.

Seriously though, maybe paint a chicken on a sign, or put something 'different' perhaps colorful to get their attention that no this is not just another garage sale sign. Maybe even just a helium balloon bobbinng on a string on the sign post or something, just anything to get their attention.

Another problem is, knowledge. People don't KNOW about fresh eggs, plus a lot in this generation are a bunch of lazy $#%%ts. they are not going to take the time to learn anything if it means putting effort in. If they knew about fresh eggs, you'd not be able to keep them in stock. Most people are shopping for the cheapest thing they can find. The dollar store sells eggs (yes seriously they do ::vomit:: ) They know they can get eggs from the store for about the same price as yours, probably even cheaper when wally world has a sale going on, so why should they stop for YOURS when they can get the same thing, same price, and know absolutely it's fresh (LOL right?) and if it's not good they bring it right back cry and get a second carton free.

Oh hey, you know what, morning coffee kicking in here.
How about a sign, Fresh Eggs are Better For YOU. Don't trust me ASK SIRI about FARM FRESH EGGS !!

That'll get their attention plus if they Do ask Siri, I don't have an apple phone, but I did google are farm fresh eggs, and it filled in 'better' for me, I clicked the first link to be told, yes, they taste better are fed better etc. Oh Siri said it?? oh it MUST be true then, give me 3 dozen. They'll think they discovered a secret. Once you do establish a rapport with a few people, they can put word of mouth out, or you can maybe offer a slight discount, 2 dollars a dozen, 3 for 5 or I'll give you a free dozen for every new person you bring along, if you really want to get creative.

I think we can do this here! What do you think? It's worth a try at least.

Aaron

I gave my eggs away for a full year, to get people hooked, then started asking $3 dozen, and I sell out consistently. I have the same 3 - 4 customers every week.

I only have 16 laying birds, and get about a dozen a day, so I only sell eggs Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so I have at least 6 - 7 dozen stockpiled ......

I live at the very end of a very rural 3/4 mile private road, have no sign, only word of mouth, and do ask for a phone call before coming over. People will go out of their way once they realize the benefits .....

Good luck !

People will go out of their way once they realize the benefits .....

Good luck !
This is exactly my point, once you get the word out, and people KNOW what you got and who you are, you'll have a hard time keeping up to be honest. They don't even need to do any real study to learn all the benefits, the flavor generally is enough to sell you out every time. I don't know how many times I've given eggs away and have had people come back to me and say wow, those were some of the best eggs I've ever tasted, they were so rich and the yolks were so bright, etc etc.

Ive been giving eggs to some of my neighbors and I get a shocked, "Oh you got Chickens!!" which is a GOOD thing, if they didn't know the girls were there, that means I am doing something correctly !! That's the whole idea, no noise, no stink etc. This makes me believe I can add a few more to my flock. Im thinking of 'collecting colors' now. oh lord what have I done? But with that, they are always asking, you have any eggs, Id be happy to buy them, I just normally give away some for free or offer to barter, hey.. Ill trade you a few oranges off that tree for some eggs type of thing.

I think your biggest problem right now is that you are just unknown, you need to get your presence noticed. Once we get you there, they'll be beating your door down.

Aaron

I need some tips on selling eggs by my road. I put them out everyday in a cooler with a big sign above them for $2.00. For some reason I don't really sell any. :(
Thanks all!
My suggestion. Make sure it's legal in your town.
IMG_0963_kindlephoto-29532093.jpg

GC

How would you suggest I do so?
TOPChicken, I would suggest that you place your sign perpendicular to the road. It is difficult to read a sign that is parallel to your vehicle when you are wathcing the road ahead. And you should paint your info on both sides. Colored letters are easier to read when outlined in black.

I have a sign I put out by the road but might only sell 3 or 4 dozen a month like that. Most of mine are from word of mouth of existing customers.

I also don't trust the meth heads around here so I only put the sign out while I'm at home. I left it to the honor system I wouldn't have any eggs, money, or even egg selling stand. Sure aint openly inviting them to roam around my yard while I'm gone claiming they were there to get eggs.

I need some tips on selling eggs by my road. I put them out everyday in a cooler with a big sign above them for $2.00. For some reason I don't really sell any. :(
Thanks all!
Have you tried selling to a local mom and pop store. That's what I did last year. Taking 10 dozen to the store about every 10 days. $2.50 a dozen. And the lady there took a sharpie and wrote on them Farm Fresh Eggs $3.99. She always ran right up to me and "waited" on me. LOL. She would say these will be gone by the time I close the store at 8PM. I always reminded her I don't wash my eggs. I do wipe off any obvious poop. I just went into the store and asked her if she would buy from me. I'm getting 6-7 eggs a day. I put them in the fridge as soon as the carton is full. And she always gives me some cartons back. They have a deli like. They make breakfast but she told me not to tell anyone she uses "store bought eggs" in the deli. LOL. When ever I leave the store I open the door for another customer and say I just left 10 dozen FRESH eggs in there. Gotta sell yourself first IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom