Tips on Shooting a Racoon

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
I don't have a live trap and i'm lookin' to kill a racoon thats been lurkin' around my place. So what "attracts" them? They haven't gotten any of my chickens ((knock on wood)) but I don't want it to either.

-Shannon

marshmellows-tuna-fluff-bacon-ham-cheese
those are all the different things we've trapped them with-especially the Marshmellows!

Ilovemyladies! :

Since I don't have a live trap I'm closing the doors and turning on the radio on a "comfortable" volume. I'm looking into gettin a live trap though.

I seem to recall that in some communities, Animal Control or the local humane society shelter has live traps to borrow or rent out really cheap to people who are having property destruction from wildlife or feral domestic animals, as long as you agree to humanely and legally dispose of the animal or bring it to them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and ask, worst they could say is no.​

If you are a good shot you could get them when they are trying to get your chickens. A friend who lives in the country recently shot 4 raccoons all at the same time (they were all 4 at the coop and he managed to get them all). He heard his chickens going crazy and was able to shoot them with his pistol...He has lost 5 chickens this summer to coons and possibly a bobcat. What was funny was that the neighbor who lives up the hill hollered down and said "hope you got what you were shootin at!" I live in the city and my biggest problem has been opossums...still can't catch it! Good luck

It's worth it to get a live trap, first summer I used it I caught 14 of the masked bandits. If you seen one, there are probably a dozen more.

36435_ricky.jpg

Back
Top Bottom