Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

I been driving for what feels like 2 days dropping off pork at my brothers and visiting. :p Hope everyone's hatches are going well.

So, from my scannings of reading this. I have a chinabator and it's working really well for me. My house hasn't burnt down and the duckling I hatched a couple weeks ago developed well. Eggs are going good this time too.

@livhatcher I've got:
1 flowery easter egger
3 eggs from my showgirl and frizzled cochin
6 eggs from my black sex link and speckled sussex
7 duck eggs
2 olive egger
4 maran
2 whelsummer
15 from my friend's barnyard mix

Also, I do dry hatches unless air cells are too big. Humidity around 30%. I up it to 60ish% at lockdown. I'm in middle GA.

febn.PNG

There is about 4 of my own eggs going in, I don't know if they are fertile. I gave away my roosters before my hatch. EEk let's not hope too soon!

feb.PNG

Here is my eggs that sat for a day going in my homemade incubator. It is real good for the first leg of their journey. Then today/or tomorrow my other incubator can heat up. When it gets here.

Yes. A real life, proper representation of what those graphics are trying to show, but not necessarily being very accurate about.
I can certainly try! But I deal mostly with shipped eggs, so the air cells are always wonky looking. They definitely won't look like an ideal representation.

There's also a good thread on here about day-by-day candling:

Candling Pics Progression Through Incubation Of Chicken Eggs | BackYard Chickens

ETA: They don't specifically demarcate or call out the air cells, but they are fairly obvious in the photos.

View attachment 2037808
There is about 4 of my own eggs going in, I don't know if they are fertile. I gave away my roosters before my hatch. EEk let's not hope too soon!

View attachment 2037809
Here is my eggs that sat for a day going in my homemade incubator. It is real good for the first leg of their journey. Then today/or tomorrow my other incubator can heat up. When it gets here.

Hello from Western Washington :)

Maybe we can do some chick trading?!

I have successfully hatched 3 batches from a chinabator. As long as you have your own instruments to check temp and humidity, it’s fine. Unless your house burns down of course. Always possible.

Hope you get your incubator soon! I was in your same dilemma, so ran to a local co op and picked up a styrofoam one. That has also hatched a couple batches of eggs, but is a still air.

It would be cool if some of us would both track weight loss and air cell size on different sizes of eggs and be able to make a more accurate "real life" chart. I would want to choose ones that have lost just the right amount of weight so that we were sure that this was a "perfect" representation. I really ought to take the time to weigh a representative sample of mine and compare, but I don't like moving the eggs around and opening the lid that much.
I was going to weigh all of my eggs, but when you put 42 eggs in an incubator and you have to weigh them it becomes a bit of a nuisance. Plus you are losing tons of humidity in heat the 42 times that you pick up and lift that lid. It's too risky in my opinion, but maybe somebody with a different type of incubator could do it.

Maybe when I make my fridge incubator I can do this study for us 😁

So remember how I said the duck eggs that were sprayed and cooled had bigger air cells and were more on track... Well they are now all the same even the ones that I have not sprayed and cooled.

So far I'm thinking that spraying and cooling them is not going to be something that I do next time unless something catastrophic happens with the ones that I have not sprayed and cooled.

Back
Top Bottom