To Adoptedbyachicken: Please read re: meramas

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
Quote:
I have been reading up on Meremmas as we have a new dog that we feel may be a meremma. Since you have 2 could you please tell me what you think. He meets all the personality traits and also the standards except he has a little more yellow/orange in his coat.
His tail is usually down. Very expressive eyes and an absolute sweetie, but very protective of his animals and humans but not aggressive. Talks all the time.

I've read so much about them the last month and we are just almost certain that is what he is. He was found as a puppy out on the road 4 years ago.

Thanks for the PM, I missed this.
smile.png

I would say that dog is at least some Maremma. There are some lines of Maremma that have more of a yellow or orange type coat so the colour of the head is not really saying that he is a cross, but it could be. Overall he appears to have a bit longer coat than even the longer coated Maremma. Crossing Maremma with GP is very common so he might be that. He reminds me a bit of a Golden Retriver too though so that could be it. Regardless sounds like you got a great dog, and he got a great home! Congradulations!

Kuvasz are very similar in physical appearance but tend not to be as friendly and range further, as well as continue the physical pursuit of predators and will take them on, while a maremma uses it's size and voice to intimidate them into leaving running with them to the property line, or the line of the area they choose to guard, then quickly run back to aviod the coyote trick of sending one in to get the LGD dog out while the others take out the stock. So his behaviour might help you in figuring that out, but if he is a cross the other breed will influance that.

Quite a few picture of my Maremma in my photobucket album.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/adoptedbyachicken/

My previous adult male is on page 2, it's too big to post here properly.

Back
Top Bottom