*****To all you newbies!!!*****

I agree with all that you just said!

• Yes, I agree!

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • No, I don't. (Please explain why below)

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Hu? I don't understand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be nice if people who have experienced predators that have went through their chicken wire, post some pictures. It would be interesting. My opinion is that most people who use chicken wire have NOT had predators go through it. I'm sure a few people have but I seriously doubt a fox would rip through it. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun...

It would be nice if people who have experienced predators that have went through their chicken wire, post some pictures. It would be interesting. My opinion is that most people who use chicken wire have NOT had predators go through it. I'm sure a few people have but I seriously doubt a fox would rip through it. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun...
I have had Red Fox's go through chicken wire. The chicken wire still has value against Red Fox. The Red Fox did not put effort into getting through any of several pens with chickens until the chickens roosted against the wire. Other similar pens with chickens roosting in center did not get the attention of fox before or after break in.

As a kid I had pet Raccoons that were a pain when it came to the chickens. The chicken wire then was of a heavier grade than I can get readly know so with a little extra work I could keep the Raccoons from getting through the chicken wire. A weakness that had to be corrected early was how well the chicken wire was attached to structure of pen or window frames. The Raccoon would work on pulling the wire away from the nails using their hands with a little biting at it. They would do it while I stood there with my eyes up close enough to see what was going on. To make their job harder I placed wooden strips over areas with nails holding the chicken wire in place which made so Raccoons could not longer pull the wire off. The Raccoons would redirect effort towards prying open corners of doors to ge their head in. If they could get head in, then they could force the door open further to get all the way in. In that case the reward for getting in was feed stored where Raccoons not supposed to be able to get in. Adult Raccoons are very strong for their size, but they could not do much if the wire was kept taught so they had to fight multiple attachment points.

Chicken wire nor even the heavier grades of hardware cloth will stop a determined dog, especially one that knows how to pounce on the panel to make it break from fatigue.

Just saw this thread. Yes, hardware cloth is safer, but here in Australia, we do not have as many predators that break through wire. The main predators here that will try to get to your chickens are foxes, eagles, hawks and snakes. Eagles, hawks and snakes don't really 'break through' chicken wire. Foxes try to go under it if they can. Chicken wire is perfectly fine in Australia. Having it tall (2-3 meters maybe?) and underground (1 meter+) is safe enough where I live.

To all you newbies!!!

Chicken wire: Only purpose is to keep chickens in.

Raccoons and coyotes (plus others) will easily rip through it. Smaller animals will chew it. If you use chicken wire for your pens, I recommend getting hardware cloth instead.

Chicken wire:

View attachment 2174585
Hardware Cloth:
View attachment 2174587
Please don't use chicken wire for your chickens housing!!!!
Just a warning.
I'm going to politely disagree. I don't have a lot of predator problems but chicken wire works fine for me, but I normally do a double layer. It has worked fine for me for years.

The only times predators get in the coop is when I forget to lock them in (which hasn't happened in years), or once when the chicken wire wasn't bolted down at all (it was only for two nights, but the racoon found the gap on the first night and got two chickens, my bad).

So I guess it depends on how desperate your predators are and your personal preferences and experiences. I'm not saying this thread is pointless, it is a great warning! I just think that doing a double layer of chicken wire is good enough.

I'm going to politely disagree. I don't have a lot of predator problems but chicken wire works fine for me, but I normally do a double layer. It has worked fine for me for years.

The only times predators get in the coop is when I forget to lock them in (which hasn't happened in years), or once when the chicken wire wasn't bolted down at all (it was only for two nights, but the racoon found the gap on the first night and got two chickens, my bad).

So I guess it depends on how desperate your predators are and your personal preferences and experiences. I'm not saying this thread is pointless, it is a great warning! I just think that doing a double layer of chicken wire is good enough.

Thanks for your input. Yes, different things work for different people. :)

I have concrete slabs underneath mine and the mesh going down a meter or so. I've never had an issue with this design. 🙂
20200520_104149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom