to anyone who has questioned if they should close the coop at night...

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
This is just for a quick read... no need for condolences.... it was our own fault....

the answer to that question that has been racking your brain for weeks.... and you hummm and hawwww.... do I really need to close the coop at night?.. we dont have many predators I have rarely seen anything that would be a threat to my chickens... or it would never happen to me...... well think again.....

This weekend is a Canadian long weekend (victoria day) we were out as a family last night I did not figure I would be all that late getting back so I never thought about closing the chickens before we left...

we got in at midnight and DH went to the coop and closed the door without doing a head count... hey why bother... it never has happened before...

well we woke this morning to find a wing in the run... another wing just outside the gate..... feathers all over the place.... more wings and legs further back in the field.... something gor my 4 remaining babies before they could get back to the safety of their coop OR grabbed them right from the coop because they did not roost they were to young.

so yes please everyone... please lock up tight at night.

I still have my big girls but these were the remaining babies we bought at an auction a few weeks ago... if you remember my own dog killed 8 of them last weekend

(yes i know it was not my dig who did ti this time cause she was in the house while we were gone

Last edited:
I am sorry, it is a heartbreaker even when you admit fault.
hugs.gif

Always a good reminder to do a quick head count and close the coop for the night.

I'm sorry.

I went out to open the coop this morning and there were raccoon prints all over it. Everyone is accounted for, but the hens were pretty subdued this morning.

I've learned that it only takes once. I came home from class at 10:00 one night - only about 1 1/2 hours after dark. Went to shut the coop, only to find that they had company. An opossum was in there with them! The chickens were fine, I think he was eating their feed. He will not be back.

I always make sure to close up the run, but I've been slacking on closing the coop. Thanks for posting this, I'd rather learn from your mistake. Sorry for your loss.

So sorry! Times like that (when you're out for the evening) is why I recommend an automatic door closer. It's worth every penny and I know for sure the coop gets closed when I don't make it home in time.

Hope you find yourselves some new babies soon!

I'm sorry you had to suffer loss but I am glad you posted this. I have been slacking off locking the coop the last couple of days due to not wanting to get up at 5 to open it. This has reminded me why I need to get over it and keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom