To Dose...or Not to Dose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, May 23, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So I have a silkie chick that is suffering from sneezes. I used to hear slight crackle sounds when she breathed...but now I only hear it when she peeps into my ear, haha.

Anyway, I picked up some duramycin at the feed store and can't decide whether or not to dose the quarantined chick's water, her water AND the other brooder chicks' water, or to wait for other symptoms (such as discharge, coughing, decrease in appetite, etc). What do you think?

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    whoops! wrong section, wasn't paying attention [​IMG]

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Anyone? I really know nothing about poultry medication and don't want to make things worse [​IMG]

4. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    I think you shod wait till the symptoms ! what kind of beding do you have for the chicks?? [​IMG]

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    They were recently changed to pine, but this chick was the only one to sneeze and have crackly breathing when I listened close. However, quarantined chick has now been off of bedding altogether and living in a fish tank on paper towels for 3 days with no improvement...or worsening symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by