To get a dog or not to get a dog....

My heart dog was a great Pyrenees. I had him until he was thirteen and we only had a quarter of an acre then too. They are very gentle and very calm. We live on acreage now, but I won't get another because we only have an invisible fence, which pyrs will walk right through.

They are very smart, and think more than the average dog. Mine was the smartest in obedience class, but once he showed he could do a trick, he was stubborn and done.

Never have a great pyr off leash or roam without a fence. They will easily walk twenty five miles or more away. They think as far as they can see is their property to guard.

They are barkers, but not nuisance barking. They bark when they hear something, whether it is at their house or the neighbors.

I think most people can't handle them because of all the shedding and their size. People do not realize how big 120 lbs is until you are actually living with them.

I would love to have another, they are very devoted to their family, and actually love children.

i have a lot of experience in this area, having trained dobermans,german shepards, coon hounds, austrailian shepards, pit bulls and numerous other breeds for poultry and personal protection. I currently have a 120lb female pressa and a 50lb male pit bull cross. THE BREED IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE INDIVIDUAL DOG. I raise free range game chickens and I never lose any to hawks, owls racoons, opussums,coyotes, or other snakes. This is remarkable considering I live on the river. My dogs are constantly on patrol, day or night, and my fowl actually run to them when they sense trouble. I raise a few puppies, but never sell them until they are 6 months old. I also train dogs for other poultry enthusiast and would be glad to provide you with references. AS TO YOUR ?, I ABSOLUTELY THINK ANYONE WHO HAS POULTRY SHOULD HAVE A DOG AS THEIR PROTECTOR. It will save you both $ and heartache.
Good Luck, REBEL SOLDIER

They are also hunting dogs, bred for centuries to kill vermin. "bite not bad"??? LOL they are hunting dogs, made to kill animals much bigger than themselves like foxes and raccoons. I'd start training them yesterday that behavior like that isn't allowed.

Get a Jack Russell. they are small. It will chase the chickens around the yard, but they are little enough to lock in the bedroom or house if you want to let the chickens out. thats what we do. I have 2 JRs and the male (Phantom) will chase at the birds even yipping and playiung at the fence of the chook pen. The female (Mia) is only 9 wks old but the other day it was windy and she got in the door of the pen and did her best to chase the chooks. They will still bark and give a warning if anything is in theyard of a night or in the day. If they do happen to bite the birds or the baby their bite is not so bad as to do too much damage. I love my Jack Russells. My male can get quite an aggressive sounding growl if something is aroujnd at night. This is good for me as my husband works away for 2 wks at a time..JRs are loyal, loving, protective, entertaining and great with kids if the chills are taught to be gentle with them. I think I mightbe a bit biased. :)
-agree with dainerra! I have a Yorkshire terrier (10 years old) as a pet. -won't let him near my chickens (5 months old). -would NEVER recommend terriers of any sort to "guard" chickens as it definitely goes against their instincts/natures. -have experience with (previously owned) Great Pyrenees. They are marvelous pets and wonderful guardians. A few acres is a perfect size......a suburban lot is small. They have an excellent temperament AND a loud, booming bark. -could create issues with neighbors in close proximity.

Here is my own PERSONAL opinion:

If you and your chickens have lived OK without a dog.....why introduce a dog??!!

Do you want to consider training the dog to guard the chickens? Do you have the MONEY, TIME, and PATIENCE to properly TRAIN the dog for OBEDIENCE and LIVESTOCK-GUARDING??!!

****What if the dog chases and kills chickens instead??!! YES indeed that is the instinct of most dogs!!!!!**** Sorry but this is the truth!!!!!! Sorry for breaking the idealistic bubble once again!!!!!

Do you really want to tie a dead chicken around the dog's neck as part of its training??!! (after the dog killed the chicken for dog-thrills) . What do you think about that??!!

I think it's best to just avoid the issues altogether. PLEASE.

Just be happy with the cats or whatever that you have as pets....and don't succumb to the temptation of getting a dog.

Introducing a dog to a system that has worked JUST FINE without a dog is a big leap and is usually unnecessary IMHO.

Last edited:
Do you really want to tie a dead chicken around the dog's neck as part of its training??!! (after the dog killed the chicken for dog-thrills) . What do you think about that??!!

I
don't ever do this. It's dangerous and doesn't work anyway. It's actually pretty easy to get dogs and chickens to co-exist IF you are willing to put in the effort. And, yes, sometimes that means that you have to keep them separate. Dog away when the chickens are free. Chickens away when the dog is loose.

We have an anatolian shepherd mix, and he has been a GREAT guard dog for our flock. But ANY dog must be trained well. Help the dog understand that the chickens are part of the "family" and warrant protection. Take him out to the coop with you everyday while you care for your birds. Our dog went after the birds for the first few months we had him until I made clear to him that his job was to help us protect them. Since then, he keeps the flock together by herding and keeps a watch on the perimeter. The only time we've lost our free-range birds is when he was in the house and we ignored his whines to go out.
He does need a lot of exercise and a great deal of attention, though. So if you are unable to give him frequent walks and a lot of attention, hold off until you move out to the country.
Good Luck!

We have an anatolian shepherd mix, and he has been a GREAT guard dog for our flock. But ANY dog must be trained well. Help the dog understand that the chickens are part of the "family" and warrant protection. Take him out to the coop with you everyday while you care for your birds. Our dog went after the birds for the first few months we had him until I made clear to him that his job was to help us protect them. Since then, he keeps the flock together by herding and keeps a watch on the perimeter. The only time we've lost our free-range birds is when he was in the house and we ignored his whines to go out.
He does need a lot of exercise and a great deal of attention, though. So if you are unable to give him frequent walks and a lot of attention, hold off until you move out to the country.
Good Luck!
How did you get him to understand that he was there to help you protect them?

-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

My family has had a positive experience with both of our dogs after adding chickens to our sub-division yard.

The adult is a Pit Bull which I understand some people do use as LGDs. He's a rescue. Our puppy, nine months, is half Great Pyrenees and half Border Collie x English Springer Spaniel from working lines of LGDs. We had planned to train the dogs to not bark, growl or dig at the chicken run. There was never any intention for our birds to free range with the dogs. However, our temporary run failed and the girls got out several times until Hubby rebuilt my mess. The dogs were fine. One day I came home from work to find the girls pecking at the lawn and the dogs relaxing under a shade tree. I'm pleased with our dogs' instincts and both are also AMAZING family pets.

That said, I cannot leave my dogs out after 11pm (quiet hour according to our bylaws). They do bark a lot and would wake up the neighbours.

Honestly, our Pit Bull is the best pet dog we've ever owned, super loyal and affectionate, even if he dislikes most other dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom